Need a budget pc for AFTER EFFECTS 4k or 1080p editing

Naomji

I'm really wondering what CPU, Mobo and GPU I should get. I don't care about render times as much as me editing footage at full resolution as smoothly as possible without stutter.

Im still looking for deals on Gumtree and if the ryzen 5 2600 would do me just fine :)

Step 1: Go here https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/18-new-builds-and-planning/

Step 2: Read this

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

God-tier budget for a system like this would something X5650 or similar. Running a dual X5675 system and it rips through video rendering. So it's basically a Ryzen 7 1700 in performance, for a whole system that costs a similar amount. 

If you're looking at a single CPU system and willing to go with one of these older systems, go with a Xeon W3670, since it has an unlocked multiplier and you'll be able to overclock it with XTU even on most cheap workstation boards. Not your worst option for gaming, either. So if you don't necessarily need epic single-threaded performance, power consumption is VERY tame here. 

Just a suggestion. ;)

All that being said, if you just need speed and don't care about max price/performance, I think maybe something like an overclocked Ryzen 7 1700 will be a great choice, since it goes for a lower premium and might as well be an 1800x anyway. I would seriously wait for Ryzen 3000 though, to wait for any price drops on older CPU's, or to see what new performance you'll get at a similar price.

6 minutes ago, bmichaels556 said:

God-tier budget for a system like this would something X5650 or similar. Running a dual X5675 system and it rips through video rendering. So it's basically a Ryzen 7 1700 in performance, for a whole system that costs a similar amount. 

If you're looking at a single CPU system and willing to go with one of these older systems, go with a Xeon W3670, since it has an unlocked multiplier and you'll be able to overclock it with XTU even on most cheap workstation boards. Not your worst option for gaming, either. So if you don't necessarily need epic single-threaded performance, power consumption is VERY tame here. 

Just a suggestion. ;)

All that being said, if you just need speed and don't care about max price/performance, I think maybe something like an overclocked Ryzen 7 1700 will be a great choice, since it goes for a lower premium and might as well be an 1800x anyway. I would seriously wait for Ryzen 3000 though, to wait for any price drops on older CPU's, or to see what new performance you'll get at a similar price.

thank you so much!!! I honestly might wait for the new cpu to drop and I haven't even thought of that, hopefully it's released in the near future:)

31 minutes ago, Naomji said:

thank you so much!!! I honestly might wait for the new cpu to drop and I haven't even thought of that, hopefully it's released in the near future:)

You're very welcome! I agree, and I'm extremely excited for Ryzen 3000 series. Some are even speculating that the "3700x" (or equivelent, whatever they call it) will essentially be a 1st gen Threadripper 1950x in core count, so 16/32. This might be an exaggeration. In fact, it probably is. But I'm really glad I waited 'till now. 

I said I was going to upgrade 1st gen and waited, saying the same thing for Ryzen 2000. But knowing what's coming with 7nm and possibly doubling core count, or at least considerably better performance overall with a huge shrink like that, this was definitely worth the wait. Besides, I really need to upgrade my FX-8350. It's still "fine", but really showing its age. :P