What material is better for making a GPU backplate?

Ehrix

I am thinking of making my own GPU backplate and was wondering which material would be better. Would acrylic, polycarbonate or plexiglass be the best for making a custom GPU backplate that will be painted with spray paint? Also is it better to paint on only the back of the material or paint the front and back for a custom design?

Current Pc Parts:

-CPU: Intel i7-9700k

-GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 black edition

-CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62

-Mobo: Asus z390-E gaming

-Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 32g @3000MHz

-Storage: Samsung 850evo 256Gb

-Storage: Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm

-Case: NZXT H500

-Extra: NZXT Hue 2

5 minutes ago, TheDeathDragon said:

I am thinking of making my own GPU backplate and was wondering which material would be better. Would acrylic, polycarbonate or plexiglass be the best for making a custom GPU backplate that will be painted with spray paint? Also is it better to paint on only the back of the material or paint the front and back for a custom design?

If I am not mistaken, the purpose of the backplate in theory is to operate as a heat draw from some of the component. A backplate out of acrylic or plexiglass would act as an insulator as they do not have good thermal conductivity. Backplates also help strengthen the card so it doesn't bend or flex.

Are you doing this for purely aesthetics or performance with a cool design?

21 minutes ago, ThePD said:

If I am not mistaken, the purpose of the backplate in theory is to operate as a heat draw from some of the component. A backplate out of acrylic or plexiglass would act as an insulator as they do not have good thermal conductivity. Backplates also help strengthen the card so it doesn't bend or flex.

Im doing this for aesthetics. My plan was just to lay it onto of my GPU.

Current Pc Parts:

-CPU: Intel i7-9700k

-GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 black edition

-CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x62

-Mobo: Asus z390-E gaming

-Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 32g @3000MHz

-Storage: Samsung 850evo 256Gb

-Storage: Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm

-Case: NZXT H500

-Extra: NZXT Hue 2

16 minutes ago, ThePD said:

GPU backplates are recent "innovation" i think the purpose is to protect the tiny components more than as a cooling apparatus.

Many old (hot) GPU doesn't have it, and they ran just fine.

It's the same -not so important- "innovation" as memory heatsink seen in today's dram sticks.

I'm not sure using a plastic backplate would insulate the heat, but it would be safer to use a metallic material like a slab of aluminium.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 hours ago, TheDeathDragon said:

Acrylic would be best and easiest to work with, you can even get it black or colored to match your color scheme so no painting needed.