Chipset A320 allows OC on MSI MB, why?

cesarbg

So I just built my second rig in one year. This one I built to have in my weekend house where I sometimes need to work and eventually play basic games. I decided for the following setup:

• MB: MSI A320 Pro VD Plus
  • Ryzen 2200G
  • 4GB Ram 2400 MHz
  • WD Green 120GB SSD

To my surprise, the MSI board had the OC option. I thought it was going to be deactivated or something, but it totally allowed me to do basic OC to CPU and memory. Wasn't A320 chipset limited for OC?

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

and you don't have an ab350 board?

No, I bought, and received an A320. I thought OC was not available here, so I wanted to know if other have had the same experience with these boards or chipsets.

Does the OC actually show up in Windows? Like if you open task manager, what frequency does it say that you're running at? And have you run comparative benchmarks such as Cinebench between stock and the OC you achieved? It may say you're able to in the BIOS, but not actually apply.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

26 minutes ago, cesarbg said:

To my surprise, the MSI board had the OC option. I thought it was going to be deactivated or something, but it totally allowed me to do basic OC to CPU and memory. Wasn't A320 chipset limited for OC?

I've heard of some MSI's BIOS's accidental allowed overclocking on a320 boards. I'd use CPU-Z to verify you have overclock settings applied

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I've heard of some MSI's BIOS's accidental allowed overclocking on a320 boards. I'd use CPU-Z to verify you have overclock settings applied

Yes, settings applied and are visible in both Win 10 system and in CPUZ. 

3 hours ago, leo1798 said:

Does the OC actually show up in Windows? Like if you open task manager, what frequency does it say that you're running at? And have you run comparative benchmarks such as Cinebench between stock and the OC you achieved? It may say you're able to in the BIOS, but not actually apply.

Yes, all changes applied. And CB improved from 469 to 439, which was a good improvement. 

3 hours ago, Strike105X said:

It seems that the latest bios update enabled overclocking on that motherboard, there are multiple confirmations of this, there's also one Asus mobo that can do it apparently. Intel and AMD lock overclocking features for their budget options (well intel does it more aggressively, AMD did it only for the lowest chipset) but that doesn't mean its not doable, usually its fairly easy for manufacturers to unlock it to some extent, as for if this is going to be allowed by AMD or are they going to resort to pressure like Intel did, its left to be seen.

It doesn't seem that accidental imho, accidental bios's dont really end up in shipping motherboards, his had the updated bios from the get to go by how his post was written, which means it was factory implemented, that makes it look pretty deliberated.

Probably yes, they have been changing the bios setup or improving the bios itself.