Is upgrading to 8700k from 8700 worth it if I dont plan to overclock?

I own a 8700 now, but I have some extra cash to get a 8700k now. I am not familiar with overclocking and do not know what it is primarily used for. Would the upgrade be worth it?

My specs are:

i7-8700

1440p 144hz monitor

Asus Strix z370-e mobo

16gb corsair ram

corsair h100i pro

Rtx 2080 FE

Rm850x PSU

Do it and then overclock, instead of owning a motherboard explicitly made so that you can overclock and avoiding it. Overclocking makes your CPU run faster, which improves performance in all regards. Better at gaming, productivity, you name it. Also, it's not hard to learn with the wealth of YouTube tutorials available. Get the K-SKU CPU and give it a shot.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It might help you out, however I'd wait until the 2019 release of CPU's release. It should either lower the price a bit on the 9th gen and then I'd get a 9th gen or go all out and get the 10th gen cpu rather than going from 8700 to 8700k.

You will likely need a new motherboard as well, however. So keep that in mind.

Not if you are never going to overclock it. Buying a k version would be a waste of money since you have the same chip that isn't overclockable.

Even if you wanted to overclock I would probably say no anyways.

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Do it and then overclock, instead of owning a motherboard explicitly made so that you can overclock and avoiding it. Overclocking makes your CPU run faster, which improves performance in all regards. Better at gaming, productivity, you name it. Also, it's not hard to learn with the wealth of YouTube tutorials available. Get the K-SKU CPU and give it a shot.

This be true 5+ years ago but unless you OC it to something stupid and actually have it stable I doubt you'll see much gain from it and only is useful if the cpu is at 100% all the time during working causing you issues which is highly unlikely.

Overclocking is simply increasing the voltage of the CPU to achieve a higher frequency. I wouldn't say you should upgrade but wait for more people to answer. What are you using your PC for? I'd say you shouldn't upgrade the CPU at all, it seems fine as is. I don't think I can honestly say the increase in performance, even with overclocking would be worth dropping another £360 / $400 on a new CPU. I'd just save money.

It's an unpopular opinion, but depending on what you want your PC to do I'd just keep onto your current CPU - yes it's a little bit of a waste to have a mobo made for overclocking. But if you're not going to overclock your CPU it's definitely not worth it, and even if you did overclock - personally, I wouldn't spend £360 on a CPU that yields + 5% performance. 

I mostly use it for gaming and school work. No heavy video or photo editing.

Just now, Olivialifts said:

I mostly use it for gaming and school work. No heavy video or photo editing.

I heavily doubt you'd see much difference. Gaming is by far more GPU intensive than CPU - thus to say that a new CPU wouldn't achieve much greater FPS in my opinion. You have a 12 threaded CPU as is which is great for gaming. Your default clock speed + turbo speed are more than enough :)

Yea you are fine with your current chip. I've always owned k chips but I know I might need it, but if all one does is gaming and school work you don't need it, even if you did some editing on the side it wouldn't justify the cost.

Here is another question for you all. What are the primary reasons to overclock? 

1 minute ago, Olivialifts said:

Here is another question for you all. What are the primary reasons to overclock? 

Faster performance in gaming/editing primarily. Overclocking allows you to squeeze more performance out of a part. Sometimes 5-10%.
And sometimes it can be fun.

6 minutes ago, Olivialifts said:

4 minutes ago, ThePD said:

Faster performance in gaming/editing primarily. Overclocking allows you to squeeze more performance out of a part. Sometimes 5-10%.
And sometimes it can be fun.

I do derive enjoyment from overclocking - unfortunately I was a noob and pushed mine a little too far once xD It's never been able to reach what it did before but it can still get + 1.3Ghz at 1.3V I usually just leave it at 4.1Ghz tho (+0.8Ghz) at 1.08V 

Oc'ing allows you to make your CPU perform calculations faster which speeds up the system when processing stuff.