Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

is this a good buy ?

Crozen

I am looking at upgrading my gpu and someone is selling a GTX 1070 Founders Edition for $200 to me.(Still under Warranty apparently). What should i ask for to prove it works and is this a good price?

3 minutes ago, Crozen said:

I am looking at upgrading my gpu and someone is selling a GTX 1070 Founders Edition for $200 to me.(Still under Warranty apparently). What should i ask for to prove it works and is this a good price?

Find out if it was a mining card...

put it under load, on his rig, and see if it's stable. Run a benchmark and CPU-Z test, ensure the results and info are proper for that level of card.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

I have never run a benchmark and a CPU-Z test before how would i know if the results are good ?

A simple test is pretty much the only way to see any signs of it’s any good. The price seems fair, that’s the most I’d pay for a 1070. 

Use a unigine benchmark and have results of that already with you. So you can compare. If they are a dedicated seller they will do this.

aside from that, there’s not much to ask as they can say what ever they want. Mined or not. You won’t know. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235hz 1920x1080@120hz

7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Find out if it was a mining card...

put it under load, on his rig, and see if it's stable. Run a benchmark and CPU-Z test, ensure the results and info are proper for that level of card.

Mining doesn't matter, it has already been shown to not affect anything except fan lifespan.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

8 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Mining doesn't matter, it has already been shown to not affect anything except fan lifespan.

Assuming the mining was done properly by someone who knew what he was doing...sure. That's a big if I wouldn't take a risk on...

15 minutes ago, Crozen said:

CPU-Z test

Do a google image search for GPU-Z and the make/model of the video card in question, then print that out (or save the pics) and compare to the one you wish to buy, you'll see if it's right or not.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Yea if it was used like the average gamer would, I’d be a little concerned but at the same time it’s a 1070. Would be fine either way. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235hz 1920x1080@120hz

2 minutes ago, Crozen said:

How does this look? He just sent this to me

That looks about normal.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Join Floatplane! // Join the LTT Official Discord //

It is a pretty good deal IMO.  GTX1070 is still a very nice card.  You would be hard pressed to find another one at $200.  

CPU:   Ryzen 7  5800x      CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro       Motherboard:  Asus x570 TUF Plus      Memory:  32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000     

GPU:  EVGA RTX2070 Super XC Ultra        SSD: Crucial P5 1TB  PCIe NVMe             PSU: Corsair CX750       Case: Thermaltake View 71 TG RGB  

Monitors: LG 34" Ultrawide    Samsung 28" 4k

4 minutes ago, Jitendra said:

Just Check it if he hadn't used it for mining and it working properly then go for it.

How would someone check if a card was mined?

7 minutes ago, Jitendra said:

Just Check it if he hadn't used it for mining and it working properly then go for it.

Mining. Is. Not. Bad.

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Assuming the mining was done properly by someone who knew what he was doing...sure. That's a big if I wouldn't take a risk on...

Literally the only prerequisite for "good" mining is if the miner undervolted or not. And you can just ask the person selling the GPU. 

So we are just gonna go off what the seller says, which could be anything. To include what the buyer wants to hear. 

I talked to the seller and it was mined and properly taken care for. Everything looks good so far. When i pick it up tonight and bring it home i will test it and see what i get on my end as well.