Need help with overclocking ryzen 1600x

Go to solution Solved by SKYPREDA7OR,
14 hours ago, Boba Fett said:

Hi,I recent got a new motherboard and cpu and wanted to know if anyone had set settings for the cpu as ive tried but it keeps crashing on cinnibench

Ive got the ryzen 1600x

Gtx 960 g1 4gb

8gbs ram

Thanks

I have the same CPU 1600x with 120T Deep Cool Game Strom cooler with Asrock B450 Pro4 mobo, 2x 8gb hyper x ram 2400 oc @ 2733 and I found the following overclocking to be good and safe: 
So across all cores I am set to 4025Mhz the voltage is 1.38750v or you can add to 1.39250v its ok, but I have overclocked my ram too from 2400mhz to 2733mhz @ 1.35v but I have done the ram OC after I found this stable OC on the CPU, although if I lower the ram OC I can push the CPU to 4075Mhz with 1.39750v, The chipset on B450 mobos are very good and you can try this and I have 25-35 idle temps stable, and under full load on torture tests it goes to 67c with spikes to 75c but those are CPU calculations spikes, the CPU is maintained on 65c stable. If you have better cooling you will be very fine. If you don't have that a good cooling just back off the voltage a bit and test it with AIDA or prime95

Hi,I recent got a new motherboard and cpu and wanted to know if anyone had set settings for the cpu as ive tried but it keeps crashing on cinnibench

Ive got the ryzen 1600x

Gtx 960 g1 4gb

8gbs ram

Thanks

"Settings" won't cut it. Every chip has different silicon, so you have to find rights settings for it yourself.

1. What motherboard you have

2. What CPU cooler do you use

3. What clocks are you trying to achieve

4. What voltage settings and at what values are you running. (auto, manual, offset etc)

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

24 minutes ago, JuztBe said:

"Settings" won't cut it. Every chip has different silicon, so you have to find rights settings for it yourself.

1. What motherboard you have

2. What CPU cooler do you use

3. What clocks are you trying to achieve

4. What voltage settings and at what values are you running. (auto, manual, offset etc)

Thanks for the reply

1 asus prime b450 plus

2 wraith amd cooler(the stock one)

3 hopefully 4ghz or 3.8

4 Everythings at auto

Just now, Boba Fett said:

Thanks for the reply

1 asus prime b450 plus

3 hopefully 4ghz or 3.8

4 Everythings at auto

If you set multiplier at 38x and leave the rest as is and run cinebench does it then crash? I don’t know the specs of your CPU off the top of my head - so don’t know what stock GHz is and turbo GHz is. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

6 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

If you set multiplier at 38x and leave the rest as is and run cinebench does it then crash? I don’t know the specs of your CPU off the top of my head - so don’t know what stock GHz is and turbo GHz is. 

Stock its 3.6ghz and I did set it to 38 and it crashed as well Not sure if it was maybe the voltage.

Thanks for the reply

8 minutes ago, Boba Fett said:

Thanks for the reply

1 asus prime b450 plus

3 hopefully 4ghz or 3.8

4 Everythings at auto

Your voltage is most likely not cutting it. Try increasing it.

With stock cooler I wouldn't push it past 1.37V, but it might be too high as well, keep a close eye on temperature.  

It's up to you to find stable clock, good temp and good voltage compromise.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

19 minutes ago, JuztBe said:

Your voltage is most likely not cutting it. Try increasing it.

With stock cooler I wouldn't push it past 1.37V, but it might be too high as well, keep a close eye on temperature.  

It's up to you to find stable clock, good temp and good voltage compromise.

Alright thanks for the help will do

1 hour ago, Boba Fett said:

Alright thanks for the help will do

It seems that you are not yet familiar with overclocking. I suggest that you should ask yourself first why do you need to overclock. If it is for gaming, depending on your settings, you might be only get 2-5% increase in fps. Try to game with your system first. tweak your in-game settings or start at lowest setting, then turn the dial up slightly then test again. I find this step more helpful on identifying which setting affects my gaming experience, especially that you are on a budget gaming side (i will assume that the GTX 960 is within the budget limit for gamers).

IF you really want to overclock your CPU, check out some youtube video and forums on how they achieve their clock speeds. As mentioned in this thread, your clock speed will depend on the silicon chip that you have since not all of them are created equally.

Try checking out my achieved OC below. I have the non-x variant of that chip, which makes your OC more easily. Ryzen chips can be OCd to almost 4GHZ with mild adjustments on the voltage (be sure not to hit more than 1.4v and above). But i recommend that you start with 3.7ghz with default voltage, then increase your clock speed by 0.05 (ex. 3.70 to 3.75). If the benchmark crashed, increase your voltage by 0.02 or 0.04 or set it to 1.375v and then just play with your clock speeds.

Be mind that you should take into account your cooler since that might push your OC back due to high temps. If your cooler cant reduce the temps, your chip will automatically reduce the speed (but not dramatically) to maintain or reduce the temps.

Ryzen 5 1600 | Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 | Team Elite TForce Delta RGB 2x8 16GB 3200mhz | Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB AORUS | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | 2 1TB WD Blue | Wester Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB | SeaSonic M12II 520W 80+ Bronze | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Led Turbo | ASUS VG248QE | Rakk Kimat XT | Logitech G502 HERO | Massdrop x AKG M220 Pro | V8 Soundcard | BM800 Condenser Mic | Logitech C310

1 hour ago, Code.016 said:

It seems that you are not yet familiar with overclocking. I suggest that you should ask yourself first why do you need to overclock. If it is for gaming, depending on your settings, you might be only get 2-5% increase in fps. Try to game with your system first. tweak your in-game settings or start at lowest setting, then turn the dial up slightly then test again. I find this step more helpful on identifying which setting affects my gaming experience, especially that you are on a budget gaming side (i will assume that the GTX 960 is within the budget limit for gamers).

IF you really want to overclock your CPU, check out some youtube video and forums on how they achieve their clock speeds. As mentioned in this thread, your clock speed will depend on the silicon chip that you have since not all of them are created equally.

Try checking out my achieved OC below. I have the non-x variant of that chip, which makes your OC more easily. Ryzen chips can be OCd to almost 4GHZ with mild adjustments on the voltage (be sure not to hit more than 1.4v and above). But i recommend that you start with 3.7ghz with default voltage, then increase your clock speed by 0.05 (ex. 3.70 to 3.75). If the benchmark crashed, increase your voltage by 0.02 or 0.04 or set it to 1.375v and then just play with your clock speeds.

Be mind that you should take into account your cooler since that might push your OC back due to high temps. If your cooler cant reduce the temps, your chip will automatically reduce the speed (but not dramatically) to maintain or reduce the temps.

Yeah Tbh I just wanted to try it and see what happens,Ive reset it to default but I appreciate all the help

14 hours ago, Boba Fett said:

Ive got the ryzen 1600x

Gtx 960 g1 4gb

8gbs ram

Thanks

I have the same CPU 1600x with 120T Deep Cool Game Strom cooler with Asrock B450 Pro4 mobo, 2x 8gb hyper x ram 2400 oc @ 2733 and I found the following overclocking to be good and safe: 
So across all cores I am set to 4025Mhz the voltage is 1.38750v or you can add to 1.39250v its ok, but I have overclocked my ram too from 2400mhz to 2733mhz @ 1.35v but I have done the ram OC after I found this stable OC on the CPU, although if I lower the ram OC I can push the CPU to 4075Mhz with 1.39750v, The chipset on B450 mobos are very good and you can try this and I have 25-35 idle temps stable, and under full load on torture tests it goes to 67c with spikes to 75c but those are CPU calculations spikes, the CPU is maintained on 65c stable. If you have better cooling you will be very fine. If you don't have that a good cooling just back off the voltage a bit and test it with AIDA or prime95