Router powered trough PoE

Sapphire18

Hello there,

to firstly specify, I am in a home environment, so I do not need any business solutions etc.

My old router is slowly dying and I need to replace it, it is:

TL-WR743ND - a PoE powered router, something, that was very suitable for placement in my home, since I had already premade cabling to specific location, without

having electricity there.

At the moment, I cant seem to find any suitable home use routers that can be powered trough PoE and for aesthetics I dont want to be using passive poe splitter.

Are there any PoE powered routers you know of, that could be used in a home setup? In lets say 0-75 dollar range? I could go with a separate router and placing only AP on the spot, but that would probably cross my budget.

Also I heard about some Mikrotiks, but I would rather avoid those for home use.

Thanks

There's the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X, though unfortunately it can only be powered via Ubiquiti's proprietary 24v passive PoE rather than 802.3af/at. 

If you're okay with having a PoE injector, or having a 802.3af to 24v Passive adaptor, then you can power it with a standard PoE switch. It's a good router, too. Bear in mind it doesn't have an access point built in though, so you'll need an AP for WiFi if you don't already have one.

Based on your current TL-WR743ND we can tell that your POE must be passive, and I’m assuming you are using the POE injector that comes with that router.

I know you asked for non-enterprise options, but most of the people here who could make you recommendations don’t pay attention to the home-oriented brands and models.

If you are comfortable with learning something new, I’d recommend a Mikrotik hAP AC2: https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac2 -it comes with a normal power supply, you can use it with this POE injector: https://mikrotik.com/product/RBGPOE

total MSRP is $77

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

2 hours ago, Sapphire18 said:

Also I heard about some Mikrotiks, but I would rather avoid those for home use.

Sorry, just saw this. I don’t have any other recommendations. The EdgeRouter X that was mentioned doesnmt have wireless.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: