Ryzen 3 2200G Build, need advice on mobo choice

Motherboard I'm currently eyeballing... ASRock 450M-HDV. Which motherboards do you recommend as alternatives for any reasons you can think of?

My budget for the mobo is $50-$70 after tax and rebates(I'd like to avoid mail-in rebates if possible). I've already bought an RX 570 4GB to pair with it. I'm planning on buying 2x8GB sticks of DDR4-3000 RAM and possibly doing a simple overclock to 3200.

I'm also probably not going to be doing much of an overclock on the 2200G, however, I would like for the mobo to be able to perform an OC on it if possible. Any and all advice is much appreciated. And if needed to know, this build will be created ideally for gaming mostly in 1080p around 50-144 fps, and in 1440p around 25-144 fps, depending on the game. 

13 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

Motherboard I'm currently eyeballing... ASRock 450M-HDV. Which motherboards do you recommend as alternatives for any reasons you can think of?

My budget for the mobo is $50-$70 after tax and rebates(I'd like to avoid mail-in rebates if possible). I've already bought an RX 570 4GB to pair with it. I'm planning on buying 2x8GB sticks of DDR4-3000 RAM and possibly doing a simple overclock to 3200.

I'm also probably not going to be doing much of an overclock on the 2200G, however, I would like for the mobo to be able to perform an OC on it if possible. Any and all advice is much appreciated. And if needed to know, this build will be created ideally for gaming mostly in 1080p around 50-144 fps, and in 1440p around 25-144 fps, depending on the game. 

Ryzen 3 is coming soon, I would recommend waiting to eyeball a 3rd gen chipset/motherboard

Me when
me when I'm driving
whataburger???

7 minutes ago, UnreliablyGood said:

Ryzen 3 is coming soon, I would recommend waiting to eyeball a 3rd gen chipset/motherboard

When exactly? And will it be under $100 for this new CPU?

ASRock is a solid choice. I might even say they're solid AS a Rock. ? I've owned 2 ASUS, 1 MSI, 1 Biostar, and 2 ASRock motherboards and so far my favorite has been the ASRock boards. 1 of the ASUS boards has a bad RAM slot after less than 1 year of use, the Biostar was just a few dollars cheaper than the ASRocks but had less features and the BIOS GUI isn't as nice (ASUS has the better GUI, but ASRock is a close second). The MSI is a good choice, but for some reason my B350 doesn't have a M.2 slot which is weird because even the cheaper motherboards have them (including a A320 board).

I would definitely wait for the Ryzen 3000 series to get released, but only because when the Ryzen 2000 series dropped so did the price of the 1st gen so you'll be able to get your 2200G cheaper (or get a better CPU for the same price).

-KuJoe

8 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I would definitely wait

How much waiting are we talking here? People have been saying that since summertime. I'm trying to put food on the table in January.

1 hour ago, A Random Dude said:

How much waiting are we talking here? People have been saying that since summertime. I'm trying to put food on the table in January.

They should be announcing the release date at CES in a little less than 2 weeks.

-KuJoe

4 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

They should be announcing the release date at CES in a little less than 2 weeks.

No, when do you expect the 2200G to drop dramatically in price?

1 minute ago, A Random Dude said:

No, when do you expect the 2200G to drop dramatically in price?

Oh, when they get close to the Ryzen 3000 release. The current price is good though if you need something now, I only suggested waiting because I pulled the trigger on some first gen Ryzen CPUs a month before they released the second gen and the prices dropped enough that I was kicking myself for not waiting. ;)

-KuJoe

5 hours ago, A Random Dude said:

When exactly?

Nobody knows. But from what we know so far, I'd expect late spring/early summer.

5 hours ago, A Random Dude said:

And will it be under $100 for this new CPU?

Yes, probably.

But I doubt you like to wait that long, do you??

So get a Ryzen 2400G and call it a day. Its a nice, very efficient CPU.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

But I doubt you like to wait that long, do you??

I'll have already built and sold this build by then. And I've already decided on the CPU. I have no reason to pay $60 more for a Ryzen 5 2400G for 1-11 fps performance gain in most games. Sure in games like Overwatch and CSGO you might get 10-30 fps more but it's not that difficult to just lower some individual settings to achieve a high enough fps to not worry about an extra 10-30 fps in those games. If a 144 Hz monitor is being used in those games, what would one need 170 fps in that game when they already achieve 144?

6 hours ago, KuJoe said:

Oh, when they get close to the Ryzen 3000 release. The current price is good though if you need something now, I only suggested waiting because I pulled the trigger on some first gen Ryzen CPUs a month before they released the second gen and the prices dropped enough that I was kicking myself for not waiting.

I know the feeling. This is why I'm being patient on pulling the trigger on the price of the 2200G. It was just at $89 so that's what I'm shooting for. My next purchase is a mobo for right now though so I'm just weighing my options on it. This ASRock 450M-HDV seems like the right choice, I just wish the heatsink was a little better. The one its got should limit a major OC on the CPU but I'm hoping it will achieve somewhat of an OC. The stock cooler is already limiting the OC, I don't want the mobo to do the same. At least in a major way.