2 SSDs or 1 SSD and a HDD

Hey there everyone,

I'm still a bit new to the computer building world and had a question. What is better to run for raid? Two SSds together or run a single SSD and a single  HDD together.

I'm planing to run with raid 10 but wasn't sure what the best set up was in regards to speed and performance.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you run raid of a hdd + ssd you get the speed of the hdd

How much storage do you need? What level of performance do you need? What is this for?

I'm looking for about 2TB total. of course faster is better (mostly for gaming and recording) Light editing.

I have a 5TB external to hold editing footage so the capacity should be ok at 2 TB.

Define "light editing". I've been using 2 512gb intel 545s ssd in raid 0. It's INSANELY FAST! Not a single regret, however I only store games on it. So if I lose one of the ssds, I only lose the games installed in them. If you're serious about editing then get a 2tb ssd. However, If you do plan on using raid 0, get a reliable SSD from a reliable company. I CANNOT stress this enough. Intel testes their ssds, with equipment that other manufacturers have no clue that even exist. If I were you I would get 2 intel 545s in raid 0. I've heard more failures from samsung users running their ssd in raid 0, than intel users.

"Audiophilia... when you start to hear voices in your head."

Light editing by putting audio over video. little touch ups. I just ask because I'm running raid 0 on 2ssds right now, at 2Tb, but am looking to do an upgrade ( for protection). I couldn't find anything saying if it's ideal to run one or the other so this has been helpful. I've been using a Western digital blue ssd and a Samsung 850 evo together (with oddly slow write speeds). I'd prefer to be running the same manufacture as well as adding in extra security to the data, so i'll definitely keep the 545s in mind. Then add the other two to make a raid 10 system for backups.

1 hour ago, Deadman121595 said:

I'm looking for about 2TB total. of course faster is better (mostly for gaming and recording) Light editing.

I have a 5TB external to hold editing footage so the capacity should be ok at 2 TB.

Id just get a single 2tb ssd if you can afford it then. Should work here well, easy to setup and will be pretty fast.

I don't get the point of the 545s here, its a older sata ssd, Id get a 860 evo or a mx500 or wd blue. Just keep it backed up and your data is fine.