Words to Sign language translator - Huawei launches StorySign

Fnige

(I know this is 10 days ago but nobody seems to have posted it so now it's posted)

Huawei, Whom aussies may know as Gold Coast Suns' Partner (maybe, I was today years old when I heard about it) Has made an app that basically teaches deaf people to read by using sign language, in which deaf people are taught (hopefully)

Links (no paywalls as far as I can tell):

Gold Coast Football Club (the best one to look at it seems)

iTWire

engadget

GCFC:

Pioneered by Huawei and available in Australia from February 2019, StorySign will feature the popular children’s book, Where’s Spot at launch. With the help of StorySign’s friendly avatar Star and using the power of Huawei AI, the app translates the featured book into perfect sign language page by page delivering a seamless, happy and rewarding experience.

They created StorySign to make it Possible for the victims of the deaf and families of those victims

“At Huawei, we believe in the power of AI and that technology can make a positive difference in the world” comments Lisa Connors, Huawei Australia Corporate Responsibility Manager. 

“We created StorySign to help make it possible for families with deaf children to enjoy the truly magical moments of story time.

"Created with experts and charities from the deaf community, StorySign was developed to ensure its use as a genuinely useful tool for families with deaf and hearing-impaired children.”

Created with experts and charities from the deaf community across Europe and in Australia, StorySign uses Huawei AI featuring powerful Image Recognition and Optical Character Recognition (OCR) to provide greater accuracy even when the child or parent positions the phone at an angle from the book. The AI further optimises the speed at which pages from the book loads in the app meaning that children won’t be left waiting too long to find out what happens next in the story.

Itll also be free on the google play store and Huawei AppGallery according to iTwire. No word about the appstore yet

The app can be downloaded free from Google Play Store and the Huawei AppGallery in 10 markets across Western Europe and will be available in Australia from February 2019 with Auslan compatibility.

Ok, Huawei is doing good for Europe and Australia (couldn't find anything about USA because FUCK USA) also I personally wouldn't expect a chinese company to do this, although stereotypes are becoming less and less true.

In conclusion... DEAF PEOPLE CAN LOOK AT TECH NEWS WITH ENOUGH PRACTICE NOW... yay and theyre doing good for the community

Also... here is the UK video for this application

And the one for the sunburnt people

✨FNIGE✨

29 minutes ago, BananaInSandals said:

Emm... Can't they just read the text? I have no experience with deaf or sign language so I really don't know anything.

I think the idea is that it's for parents (who have yet to learn sign) to be able to read to their kids. 

1 hour ago, SlimyPython said:

They created StorySign to make it Possible for the victims of the deaf and families of those victims

Sorry I laughed at that,  "victims of the deaf" made it sound like deafness was some sort of virus or act of crime.

It's serious though and good to see companies putting more effort into these sorts of things.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

how universal is sign language....? I vaguely remember it might be a bit regional o_o

it's not universal.

there is pretty much a different sign language for each country

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

2 hours ago, BananaInSandals said:

Emm... Can't they just read the text? I have no experience with deaf or sign language so I really don't know anything.

well if you became deaf suddenly this probably is one way of learning sigh language...

also i think this is cute for some reason....

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

I think the idea is that it's for parents (who have yet to learn sign) to be able to read to their kids.

If your kid is born deaf, wouldn't you learn to sign with them?

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

24 minutes ago, Fez_Boy said:

If your kid is born deaf, wouldn't you learn to sign with them?

yes

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, BananaInSandals said:

From what I understand, with the sign language you can tell a lot more in just few gestures than typing whole blocks of text.

9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

From what I understand, with the sign language you can tell a lot more in just few gestures than typing whole blocks of text.

At the same time writing be more specific and descriptive. 

15 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

I was today years old when I heard about it

WTF are you trying to say here, cause I'm stumped as to what you meant to say :D

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

36 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

WTF are you trying to say here, cause I'm stumped as to what you meant to say :D

these

sub-buzz-8670-1529333682-1.png?downsize=

✨FNIGE✨

11 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Learning Sign Language atm. It is a very expressive language, and some things that make sense in ASL make no sense if you tried to type them out

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

3 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

these

sub-buzz-8670-1529333682-1.png?downsize=

Whoosh! - sound of the explanation not making any more sense than before. I get the reference of the crab shack, but not the "I was today years old" part, doesn't make ANY sense whatsoever to me. Is it supposed to say twenty or something and was an auto correct? or am I just THAT old now that kids speaking gibberish actually means something to other kids now? :D

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

On 12/27/2018 at 11:13 PM, BananaInSandals said:

The key is that deaf children are often missing experiences that add context to what's on the page.  They might not even have a reference point for what a word means.  StorySign theoretically fixes that.