720p vs 1080p on phones

Rambo3456

Hello community i have been looking at purchasing a new phone but i had some issues i have been looking at 2 models one is 720p and the other is 1080p. i spend a lot of time watching youtube and netflix on my phone. so my question is, is it worth it to pay a little more for 1080p or will i not even notice much of a distance because of the small screen. also do the mobile apps even support 1080p.

Any help would be appreciated

Sent From The TechMaster Himself

Thanks For All The Help - Rambo3456

Depends how good your eyesight is.

Mine is just above average and I can just about tell the difference between 1080 and 1440.

-アパゾ

Higher the resolution, smoother the text, and more detailed icons and graphics will be. This is because the Display Scaling will increase, so everything remains relatively the same size, maybe a bit more real-estate, depending on your phone aspect ratio and settings, but mostly the same, just more detailed.

Usually, a higher resolution phone would also have other characteristic to make it better. I don't know what 2 phones you are looking at, but it is something to see and if you value those as well, if any. All apps support 1080p if you wonder. They even support 1440p.

Also.. YouTube Won't let you use higher than native on all my phones..

Want 1080p because your Internet is fine..

On a 720p phone...? Not Happening on Standard YouTube app.You can use alternative apps Tho..

My 1440p phone on YT is locked to 1080p options too.

1080p IMO best sweetspots for phones still.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

And which models are that?

You also have do differ between LCD (IPS) and Oled, since Oled has only 2 Subpixels per Pixel, instead of 3.

an Samsung entry phone with a 720p Oled screen will have an effective resolution of even BELOW 720p, and single pixels will be quite huge.

Mobile apps scale pretty good. I had a Galaxy S7 edge with 2560x1440 resolution, Apps looked great.

But still, i would personally NOT recommend a single 720p Phone anymore at all, except there is no 1080p phone in your price range. Like, you really HAVE to stay below 100 bucks, or something.

6 hours ago, Rambo3456 said:

also do the mobile apps even support 1080p.

What's there to support? Most mobile-apps are just vector-graphics, which doesn't care about resolution since it scales natively. Besides, 1080p has been around on phones already for nearly a decade, it's not a new thing.

As for the other question: I certainly noticed a big jump in quality going from 720p to 1080p and I would definitely recommend it. On the other hand, I can't see the difference between 1080p and 1440p, so, for me, 1080p is the sweet spot.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Here are

17 hours ago, Darkseth said:

And which models are that?

You also have do differ between LCD (IPS) and Oled, since Oled has only 2 Subpixels per Pixel, instead of 3.

an Samsung entry phone with a 720p Oled screen will have an effective resolution of even BELOW 720p, and single pixels will be quite huge.

Mobile apps scale pretty good. I had a Galaxy S7 edge with 2560x1440 resolution, Apps looked great.

But still, i would personally NOT recommend a single 720p Phone anymore at all, except there is no 1080p phone in your price range. Like, you really HAVE to stay below 100 bucks, or something.

22 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

What phones? What screen size?

Resolution doesn't tell the whole story if the PPI is good enough, subjectively or objectively.

https://bluproducts.com/devices/vivo-xi/

https://bluproducts.com/devices/vivo-xi-plus/

tell me what you think is the better option the xi is around 170 and the xi+ is around 250

Sent From The TechMaster Himself

Thanks For All The Help - Rambo3456

Then the XI+ easy.

The Display isn't just much sharper, a bit brighter (at least to specs... But that doesn't say anything).

CPU is much faster (but still a Mediatek...), 3d face unlock, Qi Wireless Charging, it comes with 64gb and 4gb Ram (instead 32/3), and option 128gb / 6gb Ram for more future proof / Multitasking, USB C instead of Micro USB, 

GSM Arena comparison says gorilla Glas 3 on the +, none on the regular..

It's very easy to take the XI+ over the regular one, you get better Specs on so many different things. The additional 80 bucks are here very well spend.

However, does it has to be the Blu vivo? There are many other options, at least as good.

Xiaomi A2 ( = Mi6X) for example. Also "just" a 3080~ mAh Battery, but a better Snapdragon 660 (Qualcom > Mediatek), better camera, clean Stock Android with longer and faster Updates.

GSM Arena says 10 bucks cheaper than the regular Vivo XI, so maybe you pay less than 200 in your country, and have a phone better than the Xi+.

What about the Pocophone F1 (depending on yoru Country, check LTE Bands). GSM Arena says cheaper than XI+, but it does offer much better specs.