Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking to upgrade from my current laptop

My current laptop which is the Acer Predator Helios 300 (i7 7700HQ) worked amazing for the first 6 months. Then I started getting heating issues (cpu 100c on gaming max fans). I followed guides to undervolt the cpu, clean it out, replaced thermal paste but nothing was working. I applied liquid metal and it went down to under 90c. After two months it went back up to 100c . I removed the lm and the heatsink was still smooth with just a discoloration where the lm was. I sent it to support in which they replaced the entire heatsink which included the fans. When I received it i was getting temps like when I had lm on. 6 months later I am hitting 97c, tried undervolting, max fan speed, reduce maximum power state, replace thermal paste, applied new heat pads, tried lm again but nothing is working. I am pretty sure its the heatsink again and I think the issue has something to do with the heating pipes or something. I checked it and there is no visible damage just terrible temps. I still have warranty so I could send it back for them to replace the heatsink again but I dont want to get stuck with it breaking again when I run out of warranty + waiting 3 weeks to get the computer back.

For this reason I am looking into different laptops, ones that have either a 1070 or 1080 but under 2K USD. All laptops I am seeing either have low performance for the components inside/price or people complain about temps which I am not about to do a repeat on my old laptop. Any suggestions?
* When I do get a new laptop I will be transferring over my 1tb 860 evo and 1tb 970 evo if needed so storage isn't much of a problem for me

That's why I NEVER recommend Helios 300 even though it seems like a popular option

3 hours ago, SkinnyPete1 said:

a 1070 or 1080 but under 2K USD

Location? Any preference on weight and battery life? Any other requirements?

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Nvidia RTX3060Ti 8GB PNY XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB 16GB (8X2) 3200MHz CL16 Team Group MP33 Pro 1TB
ID-Cooling SE-224-XT White Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX Tecware Forge M2 mATX White Case Montech Century 650W Gold

19 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

That's why I NEVER recommend Helios 300 even though it seems like a popular option

Location? Any preference on weight and battery life? Any other requirements?

As for weight/size I am pretty open to anything thats got good performance/temps. Battery life has always been bad for gaming laptops and whenever I play I plug in my laptop so battery life is not a concern. Location is California.

On 12/28/2018 at 8:37 AM, SkinnyPete1 said:

1070 or 1080 but under 2K USD

Acer Predator Helios 500

MSI GT63

HP Omen 17t (can customize)

MSI GE63/GE73/GP63/GP73 8RF

AW15/AW17

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Nvidia RTX3060Ti 8GB PNY XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB 16GB (8X2) 3200MHz CL16 Team Group MP33 Pro 1TB
ID-Cooling SE-224-XT White Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX Tecware Forge M2 mATX White Case Montech Century 650W Gold