Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

keyboard clicks in blue yeti mic

MTFT Games

So I recently got a blue yeti mic and turns out that my mechanical keyboard is a bad combo but I'm 16 and I do not have the cash to go buy a new one so I'm looking for some solutions that I can do in post. I record my mic separately in audacity and I'm just not sure how I can get rid of the keyboard without affecting my voice. If I use a noise gate at -30 i can get some but any higher and I start cutting voice. I can't move it further away, its already at the edge of my desk, gain is all the way down,  Thanks in advance.

Move it closer to your mouth and turn the volume down further.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Have you tried adding more cushion to the mic stand? The stock padding doesn't do the best job.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

6 minutes ago, MTFT Games said:

So I recently got a blue yeti mic and turns out that my mechanical keyboard is a bad combo but I'm 16 and I do not have the cash to go buy a new one so I'm looking for some solutions that I can do in post. I record my mic separately in audacity and I'm just not sure how I can get rid of the keyboard without affecting my voice. If I use a noise gate at -30 i can get some but any higher and I start cutting voice. I can't move it further away, its already at the edge of my desk, gain is all the way down,  Thanks in advance.

gain is the main thing that is affecting it,  turning gain down and volume up is a good idea, also maybe a small cheap foam pad could work.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Move it closer to your mouth and turn the volume down further.

the mic is already on the edge of my desk so i cant move it more.

1 minute ago, DotzHyper said:

gain is the main thing that is affecting it,  turning gain down and volume up is a good idea, also maybe a small cheap foam pad could work.

Gain is all the way down but a foam pad would help somewhat with vibrations but the sound is still an issue.

1 minute ago, MTFT Games said:

Gain is all the way down but a foam pad would help somewhat with vibrations but the sound is still an issue.

I mean put a foam pad in-between the keyboard and it.

Just now, DotzHyper said:

I mean put a foam pad in-between the keyboard and it.

oh, I see, ill try that when I get home. I think I still have some spare sound panels in the closet. I still do have a few hours of footage already recorded tho and I'm on vacation now so any solutions I could try in post until I get home? Thanks

13 minutes ago, MTFT Games said:

It's called a mic arm and it moves the microphone in front of your face.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

It's called a mic arm and it moves the microphone in front of your face.

as I said it the original post im 16 and I don't have the money right now but I will look into an arm in the future. also, any solutions that I can do in post since I'm away from home right now would be great.

1 minute ago, MTFT Games said:

as I said it the original post im 16 and I don't have the money right now but I will look into an arm in the future. also, any solutions that I can do in post since I'm away from home right now would be great.

No, the only solution to reduce background noise picked up by a cardioid is to move it closer to you and turn the volume down.

That's why people buy monitor arms for their mics.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

No, the only solution to reduce background noise picked up by a cardioid is to move it closer to you and turn the volume down.

That's why people buy monitor arms for their mics.

In that case I guess I've done all I can do for now since the gain knob is all the way down, the arm will come later, and I'm already using noise reduction in audacity. Thanks though!

Audacity is able to support VST plugins, so you could try to use a noisegate, that allows you to trigger on a certain frequency. Set it up so that reacts to your voice, but not to the clicking sound of the keyboard. 

But keep in mind: if the volume of your voice and the volume of your keyboard are somewhat equal at the mic-position, there is not a lot you can do besides moving the mic closer to your mouh and away from the keyboard. That is basically the only possible way to improve the signal-noise-ratio. 

Furthermore, fiddling around with gain and volume is a bit pointless, since the gain-setting is nothing else but the volume control of the mics preamp. In the end you have to adjust both so that the signal is loud enough without distorting. Lowering the gain all the way does not give you a better signal-noise-ratio. 

11 minutes ago, Sandbass said:

Audacity is able to support VST plugins, so you could try to use a noisegate, that allows you to trigger on a certain frequency. Set it up so that reacts to your voice, but not to the clicking sound of the keyboard. 

But keep in mind: if the volume of your voice and the volume of your keyboard are somewhat equal at the mic-position, there is not a lot you can do besides moving the mic closer to your mouh and away from the keyboard. That is basically the only possible way to improve the signal-noise-ratio. 

Furthermore, fiddling around with gain and volume is a bit pointless, since the gain-setting is nothing else but the volume control of the mics preamp. In the end you have to adjust both so that the signal is loud enough without distorting. Lowering the gain all the way does not give you a better signal-noise-ratio. 

Yea I can put a noise gate around 30 but any further that that and it cuts into my voice. So that's about all I can do right now until I get an arm .thanks though.

3 hours ago, MTFT Games said:

Yea I can put a noise gate around 30 but any further that that and it cuts into my voice. So that's about all I can do right now until I get an arm .thanks though.

Noise gate is just automated "audio switch" of some sort. It will NOT block any noise while it is not engaged (eg. talking and typing at the same time - keyboard noise will not be blocked). It just have 2 states, block everything below the threshold, and let everything above the threshold. 

8 hours ago, MTFT Games said:

oh, I see, ill try that when I get home. I think I still have some spare sound panels in the closet. I still do have a few hours of footage already recorded tho and I'm on vacation now so any solutions I could try in post until I get home? Thanks

Not that I know of, but In audacity there are ways to cancel out backeoinf noise if you are willing to put in the effort. Check YouTube for it