Trade B85m for Z87?

My current PC has an i5 4570, 16GB 1600Mhz and a GTX 1080. A friend wants to buy a build with a practically brand new ROG Maximus VI Hero. He says he will take my mobo + $25 bucks for the VI hero.

Worth it? Thanks.

Oh hell yes, then get a 4790k down the line

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

44 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Oh hell yes, then get a 4790k down the line

Thanks, is it worth it even without the 4790k? In my country those are hard to find and very expensive.

Just now, Doughnutnator said:

Thanks, is it worth it even without the 4790k? In my country those are hard to find and very expensive.

Yeah it's a great motherboard, you can BCLK overclock if you must, and it'll have many more features like I/O, it'll also definitely look better

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Yeah it's a great motherboard, you can BCLK overclock if you must, and it'll have many more features like I/O, it'll also definitely look better

Hmmm sure I can BCLK OC the 4570? That sounds really interesting since I have a "decent" cooler (212 EVO) to cool the CPU and a good enough PSU (Cooler Master VSM 550w). Can I achieve 3.6Ghz or more with it?

1 minute ago, Doughnutnator said:

Hmmm sure I can BCLK OC the 4570? That sounds really interesting since I have a "decent" cooler (212 EVO) to cool the CPU and a good enough PSU (Cooler Master VSM 550w). Can I achieve 3.6Ghz or more with it?

BCLK works on any Z series board, it's trickier than regular multiplier OC with a K-SKU though. 3.6 all core doesn't seem unrealistic, maybe shoot for 3.8

Primary PC:

5 hours ago, fasauceome said:

BCLK works on any Z series board, it's trickier than regular multiplier OC with a K-SKU though. 3.6 all core doesn't seem unrealistic, maybe shoot for 3.8

Thanks. What about multicore enhacement? I read that ASUS boards have that feature that forces the CPU to boost al cores to turbo. Considering that I will get a very small "OC", like 200Mhz, is it worth it to pay $25 bucks for this motherboard? 

Just now, Doughnutnator said:

Thanks. What about multicore enhacement? I read that ASUS boards have that feature that forces the CPU to boost al cores to turbo. Considering that I will get a very small "OC", like 200Mhz, is it worth it to pay $25 bucks for this motherboard? 

25 bucks for a maximus board is a great deal, I can guarantee you'd not get a better price, even after selling your current motherboard and netting the total. Z87 is an overclock chipset, and Asus boards are very high quality. If it hasn't been damaged, it's a great trade.

Primary PC:

Just now, X_X said:

B85m + $25, no?

Yup, a Gigabyte B85m D3H with over 4 years of use + $25 for an almost brand new Asus VI Hero

Do you really need it? BCLK is not such a good way to OC unless straps are supported. Both boards will likely need a BIOS mod for MCE.

AWOL

2 minutes ago, X_X said:

Do you really need it? BCLK is not such a good way to OC unless straps are supported. Both boards will likely need a BIOS mod for MCE.

Nope, I was just guessing it was a nice "upgrade" to later sell my kit with a more attractive mobo. The MCE seems like a nice bonus, afaik Asus boards oficially support it. I don't know if audio card/lan card is even better than my current mobo.

Well if you'll get more with resale later on, if the board works 100% and you don't mind tearing down and rebuilding plus don't have OEM OS license then go for it I guess.

AWOL