How do I find the IP address of my Amazon echo dot?

Defunct Lizard

I have an a on echo dot generation 2, and for a project I would like to track the package with Wireshark. I don't know much about Wireshark, but was thinking that somehow I could find the IP of the echo and filter the traffic on my network so I could focus on that. How can I do this, and if not is there a better way?

Please don't argue with me, I am just trying to help, or be helped. (we are all humans right?)

Goto your router settings page and look for connected devices you should see it's local ip there. 

Tmpdump is arguably better then Wireshark

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

Tcpdump not tmp

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

15 minutes ago, JohnDongus said:

Goto your router settings page and look for connected devices you should see it's local ip there. 

It's an apple airport, I don't think I could do that.

Please don't argue with me, I am just trying to help, or be helped. (we are all humans right?)

34 minutes ago, JohnDongus said:

Oh hell no. Cant even touch wireshark. 

37 minutes ago, Defunct Lizard said:

So follow these steps:

- Unplug your Alexa

- Open wireshark

- use this filter: bootp

- Plug in your Alexa

This will show DHCP request from everything on your network. If that is the only device connecting you can double check the mac address to make sure. So now that you have your IP

-use wireshark filter: ip.add == X.X.X.X

This will show only broadcast packets from your Alexa. Just note that you will not be able to see all the traffic with a basic setup. If you want to there are many more steps.

9 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

So follow these steps:

- Unplug your Alexa

- Open wireshark

- Plug in your Alexa

This will show DHCP request from everything on your network. If that is the only device connecting you can double check the mac address to make sure. So now that you have your IP

This will show only broadcast packets from your Alexa. Just note that you will not be able to see all the traffic with a basic setup. If you want to there are many more steps.

Tcpdump destroys Wireshark, tcpdump to grep or pipe it to whatever you want, 

11 minutes ago, JohnDongus said:

I know what it does because I use it most the day. Then I > to a file and then open it in wireshark where I can get a fuck ton more info. Wiresharks TCP sequencer alone makes it better. 

17 minutes ago, JohnDongus said:

Tcpdump and wireshark, depending on the platform, use the same libraries and methods to get the data. You can save results from tcpdump and openthem in wireshark for review with a visual tool. At work we do this whenever we want to see traffic from the firewall or router’s perspective but don’t know exactly what we want to filter for in advance.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 minute ago, brwainer said:

At work we do this whenever we want to see traffic from the firewall or router’s perspective but don’t know exactly what we want to filter for in advance.

Thats my point. Tcpdump gives the same raw data but with filters you limit yourself from the start because filters are only applied before the fact. I tend to just use Tcpdump to dump to a file than wireshark to filter from there. 

-conversation

-sequence numbers

-BANDWIDTH

-SIP live voip call

Wireshark is so much more powerful of a tool

3 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

So follow these steps:

- Unplug your Alexa

- Open wireshark

- Plug in your Alexa

Thank you so much! I just can't tell if the IP is the source or the destination because I've never seen an IP like "0.0.0.0"image.png.23d941831c712c2bc0bd45ca86074515.png Also when I try to add the filter it becomes red and I can not enter it. I have replaced all the Xs with the IP and none of them work.

image.png

1 hour ago, Defunct Lizard said:

Thank you so much! I just can't tell if the IP is the source or the destination because I've never seen an IP like "0.0.0.0"image.png.23d941831c712c2bc0bd45ca86074515.png Also when I try to add the filter it becomes red and I can not enter it. I have replaced all the Xs with the IP and none of them work.

Thats just the request, before it received and IP

try as a filter :

port 67 or port 68