Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What motherboard and CPU should I get?

XR6
 Share

Hey all.

I've just started buying parts for an upcoming build that I'll be doing in the new year. 

I'm currently in the process of buying a 1070 FE (seems weird to buy a GPU first but it was a great deal, much better than 1070s here in the UK). 

The next parts I will be buying are CPU, motherboard and RAM. 

I've been looking at X79 based stuff with a 4930K but I'm not sure if that's the best option atm. 

My budget for CPU, motherboard and RAM is about £400. 

I'm looking for: ability to play at high settings 1080p in games such as GTA V, Payday 2, Forza Horizon 3/4 and FSX, overclocking (I don't need an unlocked CPU and board but it'd be nice to have) and 16GB RAM. 

Thanks :)  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor £149.53 @ Aria PC
Motherboard ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard £81.33 @ CCL Computers
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £119.82 @ Aria PC
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total £350.68
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-27 19:06 GMT+0000  

like this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, LukeSavenije said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor £149.53 @ Aria PC
Motherboard ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard £81.33 @ CCL Computers
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £119.82 @ Aria PC
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total £350.68
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-27 19:06 GMT+0000  

like this?

Yeah that's pretty good. I'm happy with that.

Thanks :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I've been looking at X79 based stuff with a 4930K but I'm not sure if that's the best option atm.

Used market for that stuff isn't super favorable to start a platform off with, new parts should give superior value. Also, Ryzen prices are due to drop to make room for the new launch in January.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Used market for that stuff isn't super favorable to start a platform off with, new parts should give superior value. Also, Ryzen prices are due to drop to make room for the new launch in January.

Yeah I feel like Ryzen is the better option. Partly because of Zen 2 and January Sales (a big sale here in the UK where all the shops clear out unsold stock from christmas) lowering the prices of Ryzen chips, and partly because of the fact it's a newer, more efficient platform.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Yeah I feel like Ryzen is the better option. Partly because of Zen 2 and January Sales (a big sale here in the UK where all the shops clear out unsold stock from christmas) lowering the prices of Ryzen chips, and partly because of the fact it's a newer, more efficient platform.

 

Yup, 6 new cores vs 6 old, but at least they're both soldered

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Yeah I feel like Ryzen is the better option. Partly because of Zen 2 and January Sales (a big sale here in the UK where all the shops clear out unsold stock from christmas) lowering the prices of Ryzen chips, and partly because of the fact it's a newer, more efficient platform.

 

yeah, so a 1600/2600/1700/2700/1800x or x equivelents should get the job done. a b450 tomahawk, pro4 or fatal1ty, pro carbon

x470 pro carbon, fatal1ty, taich

x370 crosshair should get the job done

add 16 gigs of 3000+ mhz and you have one heck of a system

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

would choose the fatal1ty for a bit more then, that board is meh...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @LukeSavenije, @fasauceome, @mariushm. I appreciate it! :) 

I'm looking at B450 stuff at the moment and most likely the Ryzen 5 2600, but I am thinking about the 1800X as with a B350 board and RAM it comes to £401. I would need to buy a cooler for the 1800X but I can buy the cooler at a later date since I don't need all of the parts in a hurry. Should I go for the 1800X or the 2600?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Thanks @LukeSavenije, @fasauceome, @mariushm. I appreciate it! :) 

I'm looking at B450 stuff at the moment and most likely the Ryzen 5 2600, but I am thinking about the 1800X as with a B350 board and RAM it comes to £401. I would need to buy a cooler for the 1800X but I can buy the cooler at a later date since I don't need all of the parts in a hurry. Should I go for the 1800X or the 2600?

 

1800x for around the same price? sounds fair. i would still get a good 400 series board with it, even a fatal1ty (x470) should even fit in your budget if you want some better overclocks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

1800x for around the same price? sounds fair. i would still get a good 400 series board with it, even a fatal1ty (x470) should even fit in your budget if you want some better overclocks

An 1800X with a Fatal1ty X470 board is £470 (which might be possible) but an 1800X with a B450 Fatal1ty board is £412.

Is B450 alright?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, 1kv said:

An 1800X with a Fatal1ty X470 board is £470 (which might be possible) but an 1800X with a B450 Fatal1ty board is £412.

Is B450 alright?

yep, you only miss out a little bit on overclocking and fully with sli support, but that's all. together with the tomahawk they get my recommendation

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryzen 1700x is cheaper (if bought new) and the only difference is the default frequency. You won't care about that, since you're gonna overclock the cpu anyway.

 

So 1700x at 178 GBP : https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-1700X-Threads-3-8-GHz/dp/B06X3W9NGG/

 

As for motherboard, you should also look into some x370 boards.

For example, Asus prime x370-pro looks good to me at 113 GBP : https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-PRIME-X370-PRO-SATA3-Motherboard/dp/B06X9F3FKP/

 

That gets your total for mb+cpu at ~291 gbp.


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Ryzen 1700x is cheaper (if bought new) and the only difference is the default frequency. You won't care about that, since you're gonna overclock the cpu anyway.

 

So 1700x at 178 GBP : https://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-1700X-Threads-3-8-GHz/dp/B06X3W9NGG/

 

As for motherboard, you should also look into some x370 boards.

For example, Asus prime x370-pro looks good to me at 113 GBP : https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-PRIME-X370-PRO-SATA3-Motherboard/dp/B06X9F3FKP/

 

That gets your total for mb+cpu at ~291 gbp.

that mobo is meh... i would rather get a x470 fatal1ty or taichi for less. or a b450 tomahawk or fatal1ty if you want to be on the same budget

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

that mobo is meh... i would rather get a x470 fatal1ty or taichi for less. or a b450 tomahawk or fatal1ty if you want to be on the same budget

Well yeah, but I'm playing with his 400 gbp budget. I like other boards but if they don't fit his budget...
 

 Also consider that the stock cooler is decent and perfectly fine for default frequencies, but if you're gonna overclock you may want to spend 20 gbps or more on a beefier cooler

 

I don't know maybe Deepcool Gammaxx 400 at 25 gbp? https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEEPCOOL-Gammaxx-Heatpipes-Sockets-Compatible/dp/B077Q4DZVY/

 

I have to admit I'm not really up to date with coolers these days, so I don't know if that's the best performance for money or whatever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Well yeah, but I'm playing with his 400 gbp budget. I like other boards but if they don't fit his budget...
 

 Also consider that the stock cooler is decent and perfectly fine for default frequencies, but if you're gonna overclock you may want to spend 20 gbps or more on a beefier cooler

 

I don't know maybe Deepcool Gammaxx 400 at 25 gbp? https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEEPCOOL-Gammaxx-Heatpipes-Sockets-Compatible/dp/B077Q4DZVY/

 

I have to admit I'm not really up to date with coolers these days, so I don't know if that's the best performance for money or whatever.

parly true, but a tomahawk or fatal1ty at around the same price will overclock way better, and a 33 esports one from arctic is a pretty good budget cooler

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Well yeah, but I'm playing with his 400 gbp budget. I like other boards but if they don't fit his budget...
 

 Also consider that the stock cooler is decent and perfectly fine for default frequencies, but if you're gonna overclock you may want to spend 20 gbps or more on a beefier cooler

 

I don't know maybe Deepcool Gammaxx 400 at 25 gbp? https://www.amazon.co.uk/DEEPCOOL-Gammaxx-Heatpipes-Sockets-Compatible/dp/B077Q4DZVY/

 

I have to admit I'm not really up to date with coolers these days, so I don't know if that's the best performance for money or whatever.

What boards do you recommend? I'm willing to stretch the budget to about 450 GBP if the better parts make a difference.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×