Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dashlane vs Lastpass

As the Subject suggests I am in the market for a password manager. I have narrowed my options down to Dashlane and Lastpass, and I am here to ask for peoples experiences using these providers, some pros and cons or maybe just general ease of use or power of the tool.

All advice regarding these two is appropriated!

Many thanks all. 

There is a lesser known password manager called KeePass. I am mentioning it here because there is a large chance that you haven't seen it so far. It is free and open source, but is less popular. I've been using it for years with no issue. The main thing that differentiates it from most commercial password managers is that it stores your passwords in an encrypted file that you can put wherever you want (ie. Google Drive for cloud backups, or just on your drive if you don't want your passwords in the cloud, even in encrypted form). This is either a pro or a con depending on what you want. It is also completely free, and the password database is quite small (tens of kilobytes) even with thousands of passwords, so backing it up in cloud storage is quite easy. If you do back it up to the cloud though make sure that your master password is strong enough to withstand offline brute force attacks (as should be the case for even the commercial password managers).

14 minutes ago, john01dav said:

There is a lesser known password manager called KeePass. I am mentioning it here because there is a large chance that you haven't seen it so far. It is free and open source, but is less popular. I've been using it for years with no issue. The main thing that differentiates it from most commercial password managers is that it stores your passwords in an encrypted file that you can put wherever you want (ie. Google Drive for cloud backups, or just on your drive if you don't want your passwords in the cloud, even in encrypted form). This is either a pro or a con depending on what you want. It is also completely free, and the password database is quite small (tens of kilobytes) even with thousands of passwords, so backing it up in cloud storage is quite easy. If you do back it up to the cloud though make sure that your master password is strong enough to withstand offline brute force attacks (as should be the case for even the commercial password managers).

Solid advice. Yes i had heard of KeePass and i also have looked into it. the ease of use is a real key factor to me, fundamentally i am not worried about paying for a cloud based service, because even if it does get breached you are paying for it so i mean, itll at least be harder by my logic and also a Commercial Customer provider contract will be in place when you have a paid service, Almost like a guarantee they will do a "better" job. Also the open source aspect, though it means you can SEE how good the software is and check its security, it does mean that if an exploit is found and not reported or adjusted it could be easier to be malicious with sensitive data you know. 

As i said i have narrowed it down to the two i stated above, even with the previous "data exploit" lasspass experienced. I was more looking for User experiences or issues. Solid advice though. Many thanks. 

If you're looking for an online password manager then I would highly recommend Bitwarden. Bitwarden is free, open source, and lots of infosec individuals check the source code to ensure that the cryptography is solid. There is a great desktop and mobile app as well as support for platforms like Linux and Chrome OS. You can also use the password manager via your browser. You say that you've narrowed it down to those two password managers, but Bitwarden is not particularly well known so you may have missed it. I have used four different services: KeePass, Bitwarden, LastPass, and Dashlane, and I find Bitwarden to be the best online password manager.

Now if you'd like an offline password manager for increased security then I'd highly recommend KeePass. The features are brilliant but it is a hassle not having your passwords in the cloud. However, this prevents a breach affecting any of your accounts.

I have both: Dashlane for myself and I've now added Lastpass as a family manager. I personally prefer Dashlane since it allows for U2F authentication both on my Desktop (works on Win and Mac perfectly) and on Android. Not sure about iOS. I wear my Yubikey around my neck and have another one locked up in a safe together with restore codes.

If U2F is not a thing for you and you have more than 1 account to serve (as in a family) I'd go with LastPass. The family account with the option for trusted access in case of emergencies (that needs to be set up and verified with the option of a predefined waiting period) and a family administrator is pretty nice though probably not as safe. I'll stick with Dashlane for myself and just activate LastPass if my parents need anything or I need to get access to service their devices.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

9 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

I have both: Dashlane for myself and I've now added Lastpass as a family manager. I personally prefer Dashlane since it allows for U2F authentication both on my Desktop (works on Win and Mac perfectly) and on Android. Not sure about iOS. I wear my Yubikey around my neck and have another one locked up in a safe together with restore codes.

If U2F is not a thing for you and you have more than 1 account to serve (as in a family) I'd go with LastPass. The family account with the option for trusted access in case of emergencies (that needs to be set up and verified with the option of a predefined waiting period) and a family administrator is pretty nice though probably not as safe. I'll stick with Dashlane for myself and just activate LastPass if my parents need anything or I need to get access to service their devices.

Dashlane has U2F with fingerprint recognition? Also that Yubikey, what is this, you peaked my interest. 

Just now, TokiToki said:

Dashlane has U2F with fingerprint recognition? Also that Yubikey, what is this, you peaked my interest. 

Don't know about fingerprints. Via U2F you'll need my accoutn credentials and my U2F stick at the same time to access my account. They come in different sizes and interfaces (USB-A, USB-C both with or without NFC) and depending on the model are capable of different things in addition like OTP generation (though not all of them can create time based OTP), digital signing, encryption etc. Yubico is probably the biggest manufacturer (but also expensive). The Yubikey 5 can also act as a smartcard for example but the NFC version costs around $50 each (and you'll want a second one as spare just in case). The Feitian ePass sticks can basically do everything you'll want as a consumer except time based OTP but cost like half as much. The NFC sticks both work with my Android Dashlane app and the encrypted Authenticator app Yubico offers for generating time based OTP. Google and Github do afaik support U2F authentication as well but you'll need Chrome for this, Firefox only supports it as a development feature.

More info see here:

https://www.yubico.com/solutions/fido-u2f/

https://www.yubico.com/products/yubikey-hardware/

https://www.ftsafe.com/Products/FIDO/NFC

https://help.github.com/articles/configuring-two-factor-authentication/#configuring-two-factor-authentication-using-fido-u2f

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6103523?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid

https://github.com/hillbrad/U2FReviews

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

Throw an eye at Bitwarden. It's a smaller operation with a lean and straight to the point app/extension.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

Throw an eye at Bitwarden. It's a smaller operation with a lean and straight to the point app/extension.

Can you choose which passwords you have cloud based and which you have saved locally? along with can you save, said local passwords, as and encrypted file that you can upload to your personal cloud for safe keeping? 

1 hour ago, TokiToki said:

Can you choose which passwords you have cloud based and which you have saved locally? along with can you save, said local passwords, as and encrypted file that you can upload to your personal cloud for safe keeping? 

Bitwarden even offers self hosting.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Bitwarden even offers self hosting.

Sadly i wouldnt know the first thing about how to do that safely. So id be restricted to using the provided service or, if what i said before is plausible, would probably only share commonly used passwords on cloud and save secure ones locally only. Is that possible?