(fx-8350 and GTX 1080 Ti) Worth Upgrading to Ryzen 7 2700x?

avrona

My current PC is a pretty good one, with an fx-8350 CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, and a GTX 1080 Ti graphics card. I've always wanted to stick with AMD for my next CPU and thought about upgrading to one further down the line. However, would it be better to upgrade now, and is the current top-tier, consumer Ryzen, the 2700x, a good choice? Upgrading would cost me a lot, as I would also need to buy a new mobo, PSU, RAM, and cooler along with the CPU. So, as it currently stands, is it worth upgrading or not? Is the current top-tier Ryzen good enough to be worth all the costs?

Which resolution do you play at?

You could use the stock cooler of 2700x, as it is pretty good

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

Just now, Quadriplegic said:

Which resolution do you play at?

You could use the stock cooler of 2700x, as it is pretty good

I play at 3840x2160.

And I was planning on overclocking the Ryzen to at least match the base 4GHz of the 8350. Would that kind of jump be possible with the stock cooler?

1 minute ago, avrona said:

I play at 3840x2160.

And I was planning on overclocking the Ryzen to at least match the base 4GHz of the 8350. Would that kind of jump be possible with the stock cooler?

Yes. Don't really need to overclock it manually, as XFR and PBO can automatically boost the CPU up to around 4.1-4.2 Ghz. 

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

I wouldn't exactly call an 8350 "pretty good"... a Ryzen 5 2600 would be a huge upgrade. As it sits though, if you can wait until mid-year 2019, you can upgrade to Zen 2, which will most likely be the best choice to upgrade.

Since you play at 4k, you will probably see less of an improvement than if you were playing at 1440p or lower, but an improvement nonetheless. Also, clocks speeds are not the only determining factor of a CPUs compute power, so there's no need to OC it just to see performance gains over an 8350.

As it sits though, if you want a 2700X, get a 2700 and an aftermarket cooler. They are the same chip, and the cooler will allow better overclocking, or the same overclocking at lower temps (read: quieter).

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Just now, Quadriplegic said:

Yes. Don't really need to overclock it manually, as XFR and PBO can automatically boost the CPU up to around 4.1-4.2 Ghz. 

Wasn't planning on doing it manually anyway XD. So I'm guessing I can get up to that 4.1-4.2 with just the stock cooler then?

2 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

I wouldn't exactly call an 8350 "pretty good"... a Ryzen 5 2600 would be a huge upgrade. As it sits though, if you can wait until mid-year 2019, you can upgrade to Zen 2, which will most likely be the best choice to upgrade.

Since you play at 4k, you will probably see less of an improvement than if you were playing at 1440p or lower, but an improvement nonetheless. Also, clocks speeds are not the only determining factor of a CPUs compute power, so there's no need to OC it just to see performance gains over an 8350.

As it sits though, if you want a 2700X, get a 2700 and an aftermarket cooler. They are the same chip, and the cooler will allow better overclocking, or the same overclocking at lower temps (read: quieter).

I know clock speed isn't the only factor, but if I'm spending so much just to upgrade a CPU I want to get the most out of it. I guess I can just start saving up and see what happens in 2019.

Wasn't planning on doing it manually anyway XD. So I'm guessing I can get up to that 4.1-4.2 with just the stock cooler then?

Stock cooler should be able to handle that.

Of course, aftermarket cooler would reduce noise and temperatures

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

I'm sorry but that has to be the worst PC ever. Please do not take any offence. I am surprised that your CPU is even trying to keep up with your GPU. I'd recommend selling your 1080 Ti and using the money to upgrade to an actual system.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 minutes ago, avrona said:

I know clock speed isn't the only factor, but if I'm spending so much just to upgrade a CPU I want to get the most out of it. I guess I can just start saving up and see what happens in 2019.

5 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Yeah, that would be my suggestion. If you are happy enough with what you have now, then waiting just a bit longer won't hurt.

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

I'm sorry but that has to be the worst PC ever. Please do not take any offence. I am surprised that your CPU is even trying to keep up with your GPU. I'd recommend selling your 1080 Ti and using the money to upgrade to an actual system.

I'm sorry, but that has to be the worst idea ever. He clearly has enough to buy a top tier CPU now, so he doesn't need to sell anything in order to upgrade.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

How on earth is it though? It's doing really well, able to play games at 4k pretty smoothly, OBS Studio has no issues whatsoever with both streaming and recording at 4k, render times in blender and video editing software are good, it's really quiet, and is just overall really good performance-wise, so I really don't know where you got that from.

4 minutes ago, avrona said:

1 minute ago, Cereal5 said:

Yeah, that would be my suggestion. If you are happy enough with what you have now, then waiting just a bit longer won't hurt.

I'm sorry, but that has to be the worst idea ever. He clearly has enough to buy a top tier CPU now, so he doesn't need to sell anything in order to upgrade.

OP Clearly doesn't. Read the highlighted text.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

How on earth is it though? It's doing really well, able to play games at 4k pretty smoothly, OBS Studio has no issues whatsoever with both streaming and recording at 4k, render times in blender and video editing software are good, it's really quiet, and is just overall really good performance-wise, so I really don't know where you got that from.

An ancient CPU with a high end GPU. There should be bottleneck because of your CPU.

An ancient CPU with a high end GPU. There should be bottleneck because of your CPU.

Well it's not that ancient and there isn't any/too much bottlenecking from what I am seeing. It is running beautifully even at 4k. 

9 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

It's not the worst PC ever. There's much worse out there.

There's no reason to sell the 1080 Ti. You'll probably be able to buy a motherboard, CPU and RAM at best with money from a 1080 Ti. Sure, a mobo, CPU and RAM aren't bad, but there's no GPU. If OP has a 1080 Ti they're most likely looking for gaming performance and you won't get that without a GPU.

My advice is to keep the 8350 until the budget is big enough for a good Ryzen system. It doesn't even have to be Ryzen 7, Ryzen 5 will do the job pretty nicely too.

Yeah i would also recommend waiting for 2019, CES is around the corner, and they should showcase the next gen ryzen processors there. Then you can decide if there is a point in waiting additional 1-2months until these hit the shelves.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

2 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

If your still considering upgrading now though i think for you since you'd rather not dabble into overclocking, going for the 2700x with an after cooler is a better choice, as it boosts slightly more then the 2700, if your fine with overclocking go for the 2700.

I just had a quick look at the pricing and the 2700x is just £30 more than a 2700 (at least ATM). So is it worth the extra £30 to get the 2700x, purely from a standpoint of performance and how much it can be overclocked (doesn't matter how hard or easy or whatever it is)?

I just had a quick look at the pricing and the 2700x is just £30 more than a 2700 (at least ATM). So is it worth the extra £30 to get the 2700x, purely from a standpoint of performance and how much it can be overclocked (doesn't matter how hard or easy or whatever it is)?

I think the extra £30 isn't worth it. The 2700X is essentially the same chip as the 2700.

1 minute ago, 1kv said:

I think the extra £30 isn't worth it. The 2700X is essentially the same chip as the 2700.

I would have to disagree. While the r7 1700 i have is the same chip as the r7 1800x, then 1700 can only do 3.8ghz stable, while most 1800x can do 4.0-4.1ghz. So i would say getting the higher end chip is worth it, especially if you get a really poorly binned lower end chip.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.