Q8FN, X900F or C8 OLED?

jb600

Looking for opinions on which TV to get.

I'm in canada and boxing week prices are:

- 55" Sony X900F - $1299

- 55" Samsung Q8FN - $1899

- 55" LGC8 OLED $1999

Im a fairly casual gamer on a PS4 Pro. I play sports games and shooters, mainly Farcry 5 and BF V. I also am getting Red dead 2. I watch a fair bit of Netflix and really, not much else. I do not have Cable TV

I read and can see that the image quality on the C8 is amazing, and am not concerned with burn in. Just not sure it's worth the investment for me.

Thee Q8FN is really a glorified LED, which makes me think I may as well save $600 and get the Sony if I go LED, or spend literally $100 more and go full OLED.

The other part of me thinks, I could get the X900F and with the price difference, get a soundbar, stand etc and still come out cheaper than OLED.

The biggest part of me hates buying mid tier electronics and just always wants top end even if it's not really necessary.

Thoughts?

If it's purely for gaming, I actually prefer the Q8 or the X900F. I have the OLED. I have a C7. It looks amazing in games, but Samsung's game mode has some crazy insane low latency. I would look into the Q8. Yeah I know it's only $100, but they do things differently.

What's your lighting situation in the room? You can't go wrong with any of the TV's. The Sony and Samsung are both full array, and the OLED is, well, OLED.

7 hours ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

If it's purely for gaming, I actually prefer the Q8 or the X900F. I have the OLED. I have a C7. It looks amazing in games, but Samsung's game mode has some crazy insane low latency. I would look into the Q8. Yeah I know it's only $100, but they do things differently.

What's your lighting situation in the room? You can't go wrong with any of the TV's. The Sony and Samsung are both full array, and the OLED is, well, OLED.

True I guess I should mention that. it's a basement apartment. There is a window down there and so it can get kinda bright actually. Not overwhelmingly bright like you might get in a living room though. There's also a curtain down there as I personally prefer a darker room.

12 hours ago, TheFlyingTraut said:

I have the OLED. I have a C7

Have you any issues with your OLED?

On 12/27/2018 at 10:26 AM, jb600 said:

Looking for opinions on which TV to get. I'm in canada and boxing week prices are:

- 55" Sony X900F - $1299

- 55" Samsung Q8FN - $1899

- 55" LGC8 OLED $1999

I just got the Sony X900F mostly because it's the cheapest TV which has high peak brightness and full-array local dimming. Of course these other two sets you've listed are technically better for different reasons. Put as simply as possible the Samsung has lower input lag and freesync but that's about where the differences with the Sony end. The LG is an OLED which means effectively infinite contrast putting it in a different tier. I personally don't think the improvements are worth the money but of course it's your money not mine. 

My suggestion would be to either the Sony X900F or the OLED especially if this is going to be mostly a set for watching movies etc. If you're going with the Sony the price gap is pretty huge so as you said you could improve your experience further with either a larger set or some decent speakers. Keeping that cash in your pocket is also a good option. The only reason I'd go with the Samsung would be if you're primarily using this as a gaming monitor for your PC in which case the lower input lag and freesync might be worth it. But you are gaming on the PS4 Pro which doesn't have freesync support so it's a waste of time going this route IMO

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing