Good cooler to overclock a ryzen 2600

AllianceLA
Go to solution Solved by narrdarr,

dark rock 4 or dark rock pro 4

i bought a Ryzen 2600 and i want an air cooler (or a AIO Liquid cooler if needed) to get a decent overclock in my CPU, Something around $75 and also my case is a NZXT H500 if you guys need it

Thanks before hand!

8 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

But does it fit in the H500? i don't know if it matters but i have a B450-F Strix motherboard

Gammaxx 400, cheapest option

21 hours ago, narrdarr said:

You want OP to throw money in an open pit of flames don't you?

2 hours ago, ears_ears said:

You want OP to throw money in an open pit of flames don't you?

Your knownledge in coolers thermal transfer, fans, and Silents must be limited. 

15 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Your knownledge in coolers thermal transfer, fans, and Silents must be limited. 

The DRP4 may cool better, but it doesn't really lead to better gains in clock speed because voltage required to sustain an OC as the OC gets higher increases exponentially.

Therefore you would *maybe* see a 50mhz increase, which is nothing in light of the price difference between the DRP4 and the G400. 

You could have a 420mm custom loop with the 2600 and still not see any significant clockspeed increase because the voltage wall of 1.45 hits you like a race car after 4.1ghz ~ 1.25V. 

I think you're getting too caught up in the individual performances of each cooler and not recognizing the bigger picture, that is that much better performance doesn't necessarily equate to much better clockspeed.

3 hours ago, ears_ears said:

The DRP4 may cool better, but it doesn't really lead to better gains in clock speed because voltage required to sustain an OC as the OC gets higher increases exponentially.

Therefore you would *maybe* see a 50mhz increase, which is nothing in light of the price difference between the DRP4 and the G400. 

You could have a 420mm custom loop with the 2600 and still not see any significant clockspeed increase because the voltage wall of 1.45 hits you like a race car after 4.1ghz ~ 1.25V. 

I think you're getting too caught up in the individual performances of each cooler and not recognizing the bigger picture, that is that much better performance doesn't necessarily equate to much better clockspeed.

Your points are valid, but they are of not the same topic.

13 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Your points are valid, but they are of not the same topic.

I don't think you understand my point then, in which case I'll make it clearer. 

If OP bought the DRP4 (I hope not), he would be wasting ~$66, simply because the same clockspeed could be achieved on the G400.