So how many people actually don't like numpads on their gaming computers/laptops?

invisiblehand13

I don't understand why Linus always "questions" the numpad scenario on gaming laptops...if the numpad inclusion was so unwanted then they would stop including it as models with it would not sell as much as models without it and companies would take quick notice...everyone I know wants the numpad included (including myself) for one reason or another ( I use both my laptop and desktop for work as well as play and would go nuts if I had to "adapt" to only being able to type numbers with the top row of numbers as I can only touch type numbers and figures with the numpad but not the top row numbers and despise using the top row numbers for this reason). So how many people actually don't want the inclusion of a numpad or does it even bother anyone besides Linus?...honestly just curious for comment outside of my own friends eternal echo chamber lol...

Numpad is useful for loads of games, but it doesn't show in performance metrics obviously, maybe that's why Linus doesn't get it. You can't measure how useful a thing is compared to chassis size.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I expect a numpad on any 17" laptop. For 15" and under, a numpad is a waste of space IMO (on gaming laptops). 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

a number pad can sometimes be quite useful, windows detects them as completely different

keys than normal numbers so i often use them as macros.

Don't Mind me, Just a British lad into computers.

V PC list below V

CPU - Ryzen 5 2600 

Motherboard - Asus ROG B450F Gaming

RAM - Corsair 2*8GB Vengance 3200Mhz (And 2*0GB Lighting Enhancement Kits)

GPU - Asus Duel RX 580 4GB

Case - Lian LI 011 Dynamic Mini

Storage - Seagate 1TB 7200RPM (New), Samsing 970 Evo Plus 280GB

PSU - EVGA 600w White

Display(s) - Philips 18inch 720p, Dell 1080p 21 Inch

Cooling -  Stock Cooler

Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum RGB

Mouse - Asus ROG Impact RGB Mouse

on 15 inch most of the time i want that space to either be used for upward facing speakers or centering the keyboard and track pad. but i do like a numpad as well.

i think the t420 did it best with the integrated number pad  

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

I own a USB numpad so I prefer my laptop not have one.

-KuJoe

I actually won't buy a keyboard without a numpad. 10 personal systems built and something like 40+ for others, and when people ask me about keyboards I tell the the same 3 things. Buy quality, don't pay for what you won't use (rbg, feature buttons etc) and yes get a numpad.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

1 hour ago, Thinkfreely said:

I actually won't buy a keyboard without a numpad. 10 personal systems built and something like 40+ for others, and when people ask me about keyboards I tell the the same 3 things. Buy quality, don't pay for what you won't use (rbg, feature buttons etc) and yes get a numpad.

I actually wont buy a keyboard WITH a numpad. Waste of space and forces your mouse hand to be too far apart.

5 hours ago, geo3 said:

I actually wont buy a keyboard WITH a numpad. Waste of space and forces your mouse hand to be too far apart.

That’s why I prefer the numbpad on the left side. Allows your hand to be closer while also still having the advantages of the Numbers. I’m no Photoshop guy so I don’t need the enter personally. Wish more people would try it but I get why it’s niche.

Who needs fancy graphics and high resolutions when you can get a 60 FPS frame rate on iGPUs?

Numpad is a life saver when switch between languages and need to access numbers.

All of my laptops/keyboards had the numpad, wouldn't buy a device without it. I'm not gnome, so distance isn't an issue.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

10-key is fantastic any time you enter phone numbers, addresses, product keys, etc.

I also use Blender sometimes which utilizes basically the entire keyboard with camera controls being on the numpad. Not having it actively dampens workflow.

#Muricaparrotgang

lets be fair and take a look at traditional full sized keyboads frst, with numpads,

which keys would you use under what situation?

in gaming, one hand on wsad and one on mouse.

in casual workload, i dont think anyone will use numbers ontop of letters

imo the function key are redundant to num keys offering same location and very limited functions

but having a numpad included in a laptop feels it hasnt cut any corners