RX 580 with 6PCIe and 400W

Tinyflexor

Hello fellow tech-liking humans ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ; i have a problem: i ordered a Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 4Gb, and i didn't realize at first that it needed a 8pin PCIe, so here's the first problem, i only have A 6pin PCIe, and also my PSU is only 400W but its gold certified so its good effenciency. I got suggestion of trying the 6-pin to 8-pin adapter (since the GPU requires maximum 185w and it can take 75W from the slot) to make it work, without having it overclocked. Should i Go with this solution or try to change my PSU. And if so what kind of PSU can work with my HP Z210 motherboard and case. thank you in advance for your time and replies :)

could you take a picture of the label? gold effecienty says absolutly nothing about quality. and while you're at it, where are you located, and what would be the budget if you need to/should get a new psu

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

could you take a picture of the label? gold effecienty says absolutly nothing about quality. and while you're at it, where are you located, and what would be the budget if you need to/should get a new psu

hi, i just checked the one shipping with my PC from the website (there's no other detail concerning the certificate on the PSU itself), so i just assumed it should be as said. I live in Morocco so no amazon nearby, but there are many stores that sell different high quality PSUs, i just need to know which one is compatible with my Z210 motherboard and could fit in :)

1 hour ago, Mephi00 said:

Get a 6pin pcie to 8pin pcie, because the 8pin adds just 2 ground lanes

thank you for the answer, and the 400w should be enough power?

1 minute ago, Tinyflexor said:

hi, i just checked the one shipping with my PC from the website (there's no other detail concerning the certificate on the PSU itself), so i just assumed it should be as said. I live in Morocco so no amazon nearby, but there are many store that sell different high quality PSUs, i just need to know which one is compatible with my Z210 motherboard and could fit in :)

and what would your budget be (assumation is enough, I'm not going to check Morocco's pricing, I'll keep it on german.

2 minutes ago, Tinyflexor said:

thank you for the answer, and the 400w should be enough power?

wattage isn't the problem here, quality could

and what would your budget be (assumation is enough, I'm not going to check Morocco's pricing, I'll keep it on german.

wattage isn't the problem here, quality could

honestly i hope to stay under 100$ for as much as possible, i just bought the GPU for 220$ so that's a thing, and the cable adapter from 6pin to 8pin that costs only 15$ seems really appealing rn :)

16 minutes ago, Tinyflexor said:

Hello fellow tech-liking humans

Inconspicuous

You wouldn't happen to have multiple 6 pin connectors would you? You could use a 2x6 pin to 8 pin

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

Inconspicuous

You wouldn't happen to have multiple 6 pin connectors would you? You could use a 2x6 pin to 8 pin

no i only have one, the reason im considering this is that normally the RX 580 stays at 150W at max performance (without OC) so it should work with regular motherboard connection 75w and the 6pin to 8pin (another 75) :)

9 minutes ago, Tinyflexor said:

honestly i hope to stay under 100$ for as much as possible, i just bought the GPU for 220$ so that's a thing, and the cable adapter from 6pin to 8pin that costs only 15$ seems really appealing rn :)

well, for 100 dollars you can get a lot of psu. look into the be quiet pure power 11, bitfenix whisper/formula gold, corsair txm/rmx, evga supernova g2 and seasonic focus for example. could you still take a picture of the psu from that hp? so i could try to determine the PSUs quality

well, for 100 dollars you can get a lot of psu. look into the be quiet pure power 11, bitfenix whisper/formula gold, corsair txm/rmx, evga supernova g2 and seasonic focus for example. could you still take a picture of the psu from that hp? so i could try to determine the PSUs quality

This is it, i doubt its of good quality. What should be wary of when it comes to choosing the PSU (in terms of compatibility?

20181226_184353.jpg

4 minutes ago, Tinyflexor said:

This is it, i doubt its of good quality. What should be wary of when it comes to choosing the PSU (in terms of compatibility?

20181226_184353.jpg

looks like it's a bit little on the 12 volt rail, as far as i can see at least. you need one with the right connectors (24 pin, 8 pin/6+2, 4+4, sata, things like that) in terms of comparability. but that one isn't even rated, but delta isn't generally a fire hazard (generally...)

looks like it's a bit little on the 12 volt rail, as far as i can see at least. you need one with the right connectors (24 pin, 8 pin/6+2, 4+4, sata, things like that) in terms of comparability. but that one isn't even rated, but delta isn't generally a fire hazard (generally...)

alright thanks a lot man, and about amperage and stuff (when it comes to Motherboard compatibility) i should be wary of it right?

Just now, Tinyflexor said:

alright thanks a lot man, and about amperage and stuff (when it comes to Motherboard compatibility) i should be wary of it right?

not really. all good psus can get the job done. as long as you have the right connectors and it's good quality, no need to worry. btw, you don't rate on warrenty, brand, effecienty or things like that. i generally can see which ones are good and which one aren't, bit you can come pretty far with the psu tier list down my signature

not really. all good psus can get the job done. as long as you have the right connectors and it's good quality, no need to worry. btw, you don't rate on warrenty, brand, effecienty or things like that. i generally can see which ones are good and which one aren't, bit you can come pretty far with the psu tier list down my signature

okay man, thank you so much for your help and time, i really appreciate it a lot, i will look for PSUs with the right connectors and quality before my GPU arrives. Good day to you :D

Just now, Tinyflexor said:

okay man, thank you so much for your help and time, i really appreciate it a lot, i will look for PSUs with the right connectors and quality before my GPU arrives. Good day to you :D

sure, no problem. if you need help choosing one, just let me know! I'm here way too much lately...

sure, no problem. if you need help choosing one, just let me know! I'm here way too much lately...

surely, it's really nice of you to help, good day and merry christmas :D

• 2 months later...
On 12/26/2018 at 5:35 PM, Tinyflexor said:

Hello fellow tech-liking humans ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ; i have a problem: i ordered a Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 4Gb, and i didn't realize at first that it needed a 8pin PCIe, so here's the first problem, i only have A 6pin PCIe, and also my PSU is only 400W but its gold certified so its good effenciency. I got suggestion of trying the 6-pin to 8-pin adapter (since the GPU requires maximum 185w and it can take 75W from the slot) to make it work, without having it overclocked. Should i Go with this solution or try to change my PSU. And if so what kind of PSU can work with my HP Z210 motherboard and case. thank you in advance for your time and replies :)

Yo OP, I have the same system and was wondering did you change your PSU or was the original 400w PSU enough?