need help with cpu, ram and recording

So, to make things simple, when I record with obs/movavi my frames will drop from a nice sweet 100+ to a 20-30, not sure why, but I have researched on it and asked a few friends about it. I've come to the conclusion that it could be my ram or cpu, i'm not sure though and would appreciate some help.

my specs are:

gpu - msi armoured rx 580 

cpu - intel i5-6400 2.7ghz

ram - 2 sticks of 4gb

Can you just use AMD Relive to record? Like Nvidia Shadowplay, it uses the onboard video encoder on the graphics card, so it doesnt have any performance impact, unlike the cpu encoding on obs.

If you want to do cpu encoding you need a better cpu.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

2 minutes ago, Fushiatic said:

intel i5-6400

Here's your problem

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Origami Cactus said:

Can you just use AMD Relive to record? Like Nvidia Shadowplay, it uses the onboard video encoder on the graphics card, so it doesnt have any performance impact, unlike the cpu encoding on obs.

If you want to do cpu encoding you need a better cpu.

Doesn't seem to want to work. problems: won't open at all on cs:go, takes about 30 seconds for the tab to open on rainbow six seige, and when I click record nothing happens. (amd relive)

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Here's your problem

any recommended intel cards (preferably 3.5ghz+) 

6 minutes ago, Fushiatic said:

Doesn't seem to want to work. problems: won't open at all on cs:go, takes about 30 seconds for the tab to open on rainbow six seige, and when I click record nothing happens. (amd relive)

You dont open the thing itself to record, you set a shortcut for it, default is alt+r or something like that, and if you want to record you just click those buttons, the recording started, and when you click those again then the recording stops.

If it doesnt want to capture some games just set it to "desktop recording" that way it records anything. Also make sure you have the newest drivers.

Another way to record with your current setup:

use intel quicksync video in OBS. That uses the i-gpu built into the cpu.

2 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

You dont open the thing itself to record, you set a shortcut for it, default is alt+r or something like that, and if you want to record you just click those buttons, the recording started, and when you click those again then the recording stops.

If it doesnt want to capture some games just set it to "desktop recording" that way it records anything. Also make sure you have the newest drivers.

Another way to record with your current setup:

use intel quicksync video in OBS. That uses the i-gpu built into the cpu.

where do i find intel quicksync?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

is your igpu enabled?

also try the amd encoder in obs, it does basically the same thing as quicksync

i'll try, but in the past that said 'your drivers aren't updated' despite if they were or not, but that hasn't come up so hopefully it'll work

1 minute ago, Fushiatic said:

i'll try, but in the past that said 'your drivers aren't updated' despite if they were or not, but that hasn't come up so hopefully it'll work

does it show up in obs? You don't need to touch the amd drivers at all for this.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

does it show up in obs? You don't need to touch the amd drivers at all for this.

it comes up and i've turned it on, but i mean in the past it couldn't use that setting as my driver wasn't 'up to date' even if it was

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

try it now. does obs record?

yes

Just now, Fushiatic said:

yes

And is the fps alright?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is the game performance then? Is it better than using cpu?

i'm gonna check

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What is the game performance then? Is it better than using cpu?

thanks, that fixed it

59 minutes ago, Fushiatic said:

any recommended intel cards (preferably 3.5ghz+) 

If you wanted CPU muscle, an upgrade to an i7 6700 would be convenient, via eBay of course. Something to consider in case you decide to to encode a lot more and your graphics card starts to get more stressed

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad