Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Some help setting up an audio system plz?

Isgolo

Go to solution Solved by Sandbass,

Don't bother with those enclosures. Plastic is not a good material for speaker enclosures. And even if they were made out of wood, it would be kind of difiicult to find drivers with TSP suitable for them. And then you would have to develop a crossover and so on...

If you are an experienced craftsman, you might find some construction plans for good entry level diy-speakers on the internet and have fun building those. But if not, just go out, buy some 2.1 system - or, if you have the budget, a pair of decent studio monitors and an interface. In my experience the JBL 305P MKII are pretty good value.

Recently I found a couple of speakers on our basement, and I thought about using them for movies.

The problem is: I have little to no idea what to do. If I search they say a lot of things about impedance, amplifiers, sensitivity and a lot of weird things. 

So, if someone could explain what should I do I'd really appreciate it.

I have 2 different pairs:

I could open one of this first pair and take a couple of pictures of the driver. There is also a mount for a smaller one (a tweeter I guess?). The first image the numbers marked are: 2, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 37, 39.

Spoiler

sgAKLcd.jpg pzPFrxH.jpg

QaejX6Y.jpg VmhGNgq.jpg

This other pair was glued and i didn't risk breaking it to see what is inside, so I just took a photo of the back:

Spoiler

Rzcc344.jpg

I guess now i have to look a 4 ohm amp and connect it all? I guess the 6 ohm ones will work fine if i understanded other posts correctly. Also I'm guessing a sub/woofer will help to improve the experience, and a couple of tweeters on those mounts would be nice too. Any guidance? Where or what to buy? Any recommendation about the placement and installation of the speakers?

Thank in advance!

Those speakers seem to be incredible cheap garbage. 
I am sorry to say, but I guess most of todays speakers integrated in notebooks will sound better. 

The 20-30 bucks you would have to spend for a cheap amplifier are better invested in some cheap 2.1 system. 

1 hour ago, Isgolo said:

Recently I found a couple of speakers on our basement, and I thought about using them for movies.

The problem is: I have little to no idea what to do. If I search they say a lot of things about impedance, amplifiers, sensitivity and a lot of weird things. 

So, if someone could explain what should I do I'd really appreciate it.

I have 2 different pairs:

I could open one of this first pair and take a couple of pictures of the driver. There is also a mount for a smaller one (a tweeter I guess?). The first image the numbers marked are: 2, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 37, 39.

Hide contents

sgAKLcd.jpg pzPFrxH.jpg

QaejX6Y.jpg VmhGNgq.jpg

This other pair was glued and i didn't risk breaking it to see what is inside, so I just took a photo of the back:

Hide contents

Rzcc344.jpg

I guess now i have to look a 4 ohm amp and connect it all? I guess the 6 ohm ones will work fine if i understanded other posts correctly. Also I'm guessing a sub/woofer will help to improve the experience, and a couple of tweeters on those mounts would be nice too. Any guidance? Where or what to buy? Any recommendation about the placement and installation of the speakers?

Thank in advance!

image.png.c97a8f00317f0ac539251e5996262216.png2

4Ohm 2 watt. 2 watts.. my huawei p20 probably has higher power speakers. as sandbass said, getting a cheap pair of 2.1 speakers would be money better spent.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

If you have any questions about ultra high end audio (Or any speakers or audio gear!), don't be afraid to shoot me a message, or mention me.

Spent over 960k on audio gear, still trying to increase sound quality.

For a guide on Microphones and Interfaces, I strongly suggest scrolling through @The Flying Sloth's guide.

Gadzooks, that screw looks badly stripped...anyway, yeah, these are terribad, just buy some 2.1 speakers.

What is a mad scientist but a wizard who writes things down?

I guess they were in the basement for a reason..

Okay, thanks for the info!

Now that I think about it, could I reuse the boxes and put new drivers in there?

Don't bother with those enclosures. Plastic is not a good material for speaker enclosures. And even if they were made out of wood, it would be kind of difiicult to find drivers with TSP suitable for them. And then you would have to develop a crossover and so on...

If you are an experienced craftsman, you might find some construction plans for good entry level diy-speakers on the internet and have fun building those. But if not, just go out, buy some 2.1 system - or, if you have the budget, a pair of decent studio monitors and an interface. In my experience the JBL 305P MKII are pretty good value.

2 hours ago, Sandbass said:

i agree....i made my surround speakers...wood enclosures sound so much better then plastic....then the you have to take in effect what size/type/watt speakers you use so then make the box dimensions to work with them...then the cross over...........lol  i spent WAY more on my surround speakers then the receiver itself..but i got the actual sound i wanted out of them

so if not inclined to make them buy something that will make ya happy

7 hours ago, Sandbass said:

Nope, i am not a good craftsman (yet). A 2.1 will be then.

Thank you all for the advice!

Plastic is bad for woofers/subwoofers but for midrange and treble they're fine, especially treble but because wood is the industry standard, everyone thinks you need it for everything but bass is the only part of the sound spectrum that rattles thus resonates but since squawkers don't rattle much and tweeters don't rattle at all, plastic is fine for them,

5 hours ago, carewser said:

Plastic is bad for woofers/subwoofers but for midrange and treble they're fine, especially treble but because wood is the industry standard, everyone thinks you need it for everything but bass is the only part of the sound spectrum that rattles thus resonates but since squawkers don't rattle much and tweeters don't rattle at all, plastic is fine for them,

"shudders" i take it youve never heard a mid or tweet resonate the plastic then..the thick plastic is fine but man ive heard some horrible ones in thin plastic speaker housings :)

I've owned a few pairs of satellite speakers encased in plastic and i've never heard resonance from any of them