Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

144Hz IPS Monitor advice

fringie

Go to solution Solved by Origami Cactus,

That's the closest thing i found. 

It is 1080p 24inch 144hz monitor, but it is samsung Qled (VA), not ips. It is certainly much better than TN, but not as good as ips. VA is more vibrant than IPS, blacks are darker etc, but viewing angles are worse. But it doesnt have the IPS downsides like backlight bleed, so each has their strenghts and weaknesses.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LC24FG73FQUXEN-24-Inch-Curved-Monitor/dp/B071RP6WVL/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1545836827&sr=8-8&keywords=24inch+144hz

Hi guys,

I play a lot of Overwatch and I want to upgrade to a high refresh rate monitor but I can't seem to find any IPS 2560x1440 120+hz 24 inch monitors. My research leads me to believe there are none on the market and I know there are some Korean monitors so I'm hoping there's like a 100Hz option (100Hz is probably a good middleground?) or something?

What I'm looking for:

- 24 inches - So it matches my Dell monitor size, I'd need a bigger desk if I get 27 inches and space is an issue

- IPS display - Basically I want as minimal downgrade in visual quality as possible. At the moment I run 2 IPS displays.

- 1440p, although are there any 1080p options?

- Budget - My budget is £350 max, ideally I'll spend £250ish

tl;dr - What are my options for a monitor that is ideally 24inch, high refresh rates & IPS display?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks for your help guys.

& lastly, I hope you all had a lovely festive holiday! 

3 minutes ago, fringie said:

Hi guys,

I play a lot of Overwatch and I want to upgrade to a high refresh rate monitor but I can't seem to find any IPS 2560x1440 120+hz 24 inch monitors. My research leads me to believe there are none on the market and I know there are some Korean monitors so I'm hoping there's like a 100Hz option (100Hz is probably a good middleground?) or something?

What I'm looking for:

- 24 inches - So it matches my Dell monitor size, I'd need a bigger desk if I get 27 inches and space is an issue

- IPS display - Basically I want as minimal downgrade in visual quality as possible. At the moment I run 2 IPS displays.

- 1440p 

- Budget - My budget is £350 max, ideally I'll spend £250ish

tl;dr - What are my options for a monitor that is ideally 24inch, high refresh rates & IPS display?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks for your help guys.

& lastly, I hope you all had a lovely festive holiday! 

Unfortunately these do not simply exist. This is due to IPS panel technology being harder to get to a higher refresh rate than the likes of TN panels. I myself found a few 27” but none in the 24” size that you were looking for .

You would have to make a compromise for a TN panel to even get within your price range too :(

It is 1080p 24inch 144hz monitor, but it is samsung Qled (VA), not ips. It is certainly much better than TN, but not as good as ips. VA is more vibrant than IPS, blacks are darker etc, but viewing angles are worse. But it doesnt have the IPS downsides like backlight bleed, so each has their strenghts and weaknesses.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LC24FG73FQUXEN-24-Inch-Curved-Monitor/dp/B071RP6WVL/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1545836827&sr=8-8&keywords=24inch+144hz

I only see your reply if you @ me.

3 hours ago, Quagmaire said:

Unfortunately these do not simply exist. This is due to IPS panel technology being harder to get to a higher refresh rate than the likes of TN panels. I myself found a few 27” but none in the 24” size that you were looking for .

You would have to make a compromise for a TN panel to even get within your price range too :(

That's a shame, monitors are so expensive ;-;.

2 hours ago, Origami Cactus said:

I looked at a review of the monitor and while it's not quite what I was hoping for but it's the best I'm going to get so I'm going to get it. I think I'll upgrade when an IPS version comes out. Thanks for the advice. 

On 12/26/2018 at 3:10 PM, Origami Cactus said:

It just arrived, very nice monitor :D. The only disappointment is the blacks are washed out unless I max out the setting to make blacks darker but then anything that is dark becomes hard to see which I'm not sure how to resolve but otherwise very nice. I'm quite surprised how good the viewing angles are, if you told me this was an IPS monitor I'd believe you and my other monitor is an Ultrasharp so it really is good (or I'm blind xD). Thanks again dude :D

I see why people rave about 144hz now, it's pretty nice :D.

22 minutes ago, fringie said:

It just arrived, very nice monitor :D. The only disappointment is the blacks are washed out unless I max out the setting to make blacks darker but then anything that is dark becomes hard to see which I'm not sure how to resolve but otherwise very nice. I'm quite surprised how good the viewing angles are, if you told me this was an IPS monitor I'd believe you and my other monitor is an Ultrasharp so it really is good (or I'm blind xD). Thanks again dude :D

I see why people rave about 144hz now, it's pretty nice :D.

Nice to hear. So you say the viewing angles are very ips like?

hmm. I might have to pick one up myself.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

On 12/29/2018 at 4:58 PM, Origami Cactus said:

Nice to hear. So you say the viewing angles are very ips like?

hmm. I might have to pick one up myself.

Yeah, the image quality is actually pretty good (hardly any colour shift in a quick eye test). The only bad thing is the blacks, it's not  bad just noticeable compared to a good monitor. I did re-calibrate the colours and if you looked up a tutorial or something maybe you can get better blacks than I did (I spent 10 mins playing around with it). Minimal colour shift, colours are very washed out, I've got a purple artifiact issue which hopefully can be resolved with a firmware fix and apparently there's ghosting issues but I'm not savvi enough to be able to tell but apparently it has them. I'm still happy with it, it's just got issues.

I hardly lost a game yesterday and my accuracy went up by like 5-10% which is pretty significant. I imagine some of it's placebo effect but I did really notice the game being more fluid. I'm very happy :).