Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should I change my Corsair h100i cooler?

I have been using this cooler for little over 3 years now for my i7 5960x. I am planning to change a few components in my current rig and wanted to know if I should change it or keep it?

As long as its doing a proper job cooling at the moment, there is no real reason to, unless you are changing to a much higher TDP chip that outputs much more heat.

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

31 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

As long as its doing a proper job cooling at the moment, there is no real reason to, unless you are changing to a much higher TDP chip that outputs much more heat.

I am not changing the chip, just the graphics card, power supply, and case. my i7 5960x is doing fine so far.

1 minute ago, Nickel said:

I am not changing the chip, just the graphics card, power supply, and case. my i7 5960x is doing fine so far.

If so, don't worry. As long as you are fine with the thermals, there is no reason to upgrade

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

3 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

If so, don't worry. As long as you are fine with the thermals, there is no reason to upgrade

I would second this, but I will mention this because it can matter. How much longer if any is left on your warranty? If the warranty is up on it then I would consider changing it just for the fact that the big AIO companies will cover components damaged by an AIO that fails.

So lets say in 6 months you have a leak. If you are using that one and don't have warranty coverage anymore... well you are S.O.L in that case. If you have a new one with warranty coverage then you would be fine. They would have you send them all the stuff and they would write you a check to replace it all (in most cases).

So it comes down to peace of mind in that case. Is $100-$140 worth another 2-4 years of warranty coverage?

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

I would second this, but I will mention this because it can matter. How much longer if any is left on your warranty? If the warranty is up on it then I would consider changing it just for the fact that the big AIO companies will cover components damaged by an AIO that fails.

So lets say in 6 months you have a leak. If you are using that one and don't have warranty coverage anymore... well you are S.O.L in that case. If you have a new one with warranty coverage then you would be fine. They would have you send them all the stuff and they would write you a check to replace it all (in most cases).

So it comes down to peace of mind in that case. Is $100-$140 worth another 2-4 years of warranty coverage?

I think that's a nice way to put it. I do have 1 year left on the AIO warranty, and a friend of mine is ready to purchase it for 40% of the original price.