Windows uses 4gb ram at idle

hello guys, so in a recent ltt video, I found out that windows should use around 2 GB ram at idle although my laptop uses 4 GB at idle.

my laptop severely underperforms for the spec and I always thought it was because of the slow HDD but guess I found a different bottleneck. I just have 8 GB, single channel memory total so I think that might e pulling me down. is there any way to get the 2 Gigs back?

thanks in advance

The applications running in background use no more than 500MB total so.. idk

1 minute ago, zlolslavez said:

Can you post your open processes?

Screenshot (6).png

1 minute ago, zlolslavez said:

Can you post your open processes?

ik edge is using a little but I just opened a few tabs so its probably because of that

Clean install windows and it won't use that much.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Clean install is a good idea but you should disable all startup programs like steam, epic games, etc. And you shouldn't let them minimize to taskbar when they aren't being used. I just reset my PC two days ago and I have just one tab (LTT) open. Nothing running in the background. This is a laptop, don't know if it affects results.

1806386612_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.81f9174cf050bcba32676f0a4f9ba5cc.png

I don't think any systems run 2GB at idle unless its ultra clean with no bloatware and just fresh off of a reset and restart.

10 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Clean install windows and it won't use that much.

i tried it didn't work

Just now, a99007 said:

i tried it didn't work

Are you sure?

Did you leave it for a few hours so that it finishes installing stuff, then check for windows updates, then restart and let it finish installing that, and then restart again?

Immediately after installing windows there is a lot of stuff going on in the background.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Are you sure?

Did you leave it for a few hours so that it finishes installing stuff, then check for windows updates, then restart and let it finish installing that, and then restart again?

Immediately after installing windows there is a lot of stuff going on in the background.

yeah, its been a few days since the reset, anyway its fine now so thanks

3 minutes ago, Tarun10 said:

Clean install is a good idea but you should disable all startup programs like steam, epic games, etc. And you shouldn't let them minimize to taskbar when they aren't being used. I just reset my PC two days ago and I have just one tab (LTT) open. Nothing running in the background. This is a laptop, don't know if it affects results.

1806386612_Screenshot(2).thumb.png.81f9174cf050bcba32676f0a4f9ba5cc.png

I don't think any systems run 2GB at idle unless its ultra clean with no bloatware and just fresh off of a reset and restart.

here try this

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-windows-10-laptop-4-gb-ram-use-at-idle/f8219d38-842f-4fa9-8efe-badb8b7e380d

worked for me, now my system is at 2.7GB

2 minutes ago, a99007 said:

yeah, its been a few days since the reset, anyway its fine now so thanks

Well what you basically did is moved half the stuff that's in ram to your storage drive which is like 100x slower.

Spoiler

There are also many Windows Services that can be safely deactivated and that might help as well.

1 hour ago, a99007 said:

I think it should still atleast benefit gaming right?

Did you already go through the startup programs and disable unnecessary stuff?

Spoiler

• 2 years later...
On 12/26/2018 at 9:25 AM, a99007 said:

i tried it didn't work

I lowered mine to 2.4 GB in Idle now.

I have 15.8 GB but in Idle my system was using 5.1 GB 32% of my total system memory what is a bit too much for idle.

I checked my C drive Virtual memory setting and it is set to Auto, so I left it as it is.

1. Background Apps

Click on the Windows key in the bottom left corner and start typing Startup Apps

Switch off all of them (I only left the Windows Security Notification on)

2. Background Apps

Click on the Windows key in the bottom left corner and start typing Background Apps

Switch off all of them: 3D Viewer, Camera, Microphone, Calculator, Cortana, Films, Mail, Settings, Tips, Weather, Xbox apps, Your Phone, etc. (I only left Windows Security on, Camera Microphone will still work if you use them)

3. Restart your Computer

After the restart my memory usage went down from 5.1 GB to 2.4 GB.

I hope it will help.

memory-2_4GB.png.ab0e7eb0eb66ecac937becd6cbe9f713.png

• 3 months later...
On 12/29/2020 at 10:30 AM, JohnTuri said:

I lowered mine to 2.4 GB in Idle now.

I have 15.8 GB but in Idle my system was using 5.1 GB 32% of my total system memory what is a bit too much for idle.

I checked my C drive Virtual memory setting and it is set to Auto, so I left it as it is.

1. Background Apps

Click on the Windows key in the bottom left corner and start typing Startup Apps

Switch off all of them (I only left the Windows Security Notification on)

2. Background Apps

Click on the Windows key in the bottom left corner and start typing Background Apps

Switch off all of them: 3D Viewer, Camera, Microphone, Calculator, Cortana, Films, Mail, Settings, Tips, Weather, Xbox apps, Your Phone, etc. (I only left Windows Security on, Camera Microphone will still work if you use them)

3. Restart your Computer

After the restart my memory usage went down from 5.1 GB to 2.4 GB.

I hope it will help.

memory-2_4GB.png.ab0e7eb0eb66ecac937becd6cbe9f713.png

John thank you man it worked. My usage decreased from 3.8 GB to 2.0 GB .

(i registered to only say thank you :D)