Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quick question reguarding motherboard bridges

nelska

I get the chipset drivers run the north bridge to the southbridge but on this b250 pc mate.. are these the north and south bridges? i cannot find anything online that states where they are specifically on this motherboard.. thanks!

13-144-128-Z01.jpg

@nelska

there are no North or South Bridges on modern motherboards.

what you have labeled as "S" is the Chipset and that's all it is, and the N's are the CPU VRM's

you could call the modern Chipest a Southbridge but it wouldn't be the correct term.

300px-Chipset_schematic.svg.png

this is what the North Bridge and South Bridge did on older motherboards, but now that's replaced with the CPU and the Chipset handling those components.

Today the CPU has the RAM controller and some PCIE lanes directly connected to the CPU and the Chipset is basically the same as the old Southbridge handling: extra PCIE lanes, USB, BIOS etc etc

(correct me if i said something wrong)

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, syn2112 said:

@nelska

there are no North or South Bridges on modern motherboards.

what you have labeled as "S" is the Chipset and that's all it is, and the N's are the CPU VRM's

you could call the modern Chipest a Southbridge but it wouldn't be the correct term.

300px-Chipset_schematic.svg.png

this is what the North Bridge and South Bridge did on older motherboards, but now that's replaced with the CPU and the Chipset handling those components.

Today the CPU has the RAM controller and some PCIE lanes directly connected to the CPU and the Chipset is basically the same as the old Southbridge handling: extra PCIE lanes, USB, BIOS etc etc

(correct me if i said something wrong)

what you said sounds like we're both right... lol besides the cpu vrm's i've never even heard of those. This has all come about because i went from a basic dell pc and swapped out the motherboard and for about a month forgot about chipset drivers and when i installed them today it feels like i was driving a car on 3 wheels compaired to a race car i have now. if that makes any sense. im STUNNED at how much better the pc is running just with a gaming mobo and its chipset drivers. i cannot believe i sat here for a month thinking cool man.... without THE DRIVERS installed lmfao. i will look into vrm.

Do voltage regulator modules need the chipset driver to operate as well?

1 minute ago, nelska said:

my guess is no but what do i know i feel like my pc went from a crawl to a full paced sprint from just one chipset driver.

2 minutes ago, nelska said:

no, VRM's are handled by the BIOS, they regulate the voltage that is given to the CPU.

they don't require any sort of drivers

Just now, syn2112 said:

no, VRM's are handled by the BIOS, they specify how much voltage to give the CPU.

they don't require any sort of drivers

Thanks!

Just now, nelska said:

Thanks!

you're welcome :)