I am totally confused over this new motherboard..

nelska

So, I get a new motherboard. swap everything out and start it up.. runs fine. Runs for weeks.. Today I go, hey I wonder if my motherboard has any kind of special drivers on the cd it came with.. I pop that in, and boom theres an entire list of drivers that needed installed. My question is, was i running the computer with the old chipset drivers from the last motherboard? could that be possible it was two different brands.. Can pcs run without a chipset driver? Because from what i can tell the difference is like night and day now that i know i have it installed. I was thinking maybe its like a gpu itll just run like a basic card until the drivers installed? Im not sure but I feel like the whole pc went from 3 wheels to 4.

7 minutes ago, ThatBlockishWay said:

Im pretty sure windows has basic drivers for everything

right. so there where drivers but it wasnt anything like a gaming mobo driver. because the difference is night and day. the basic one had to have been for any default windows 10 operating system. just as powerful as the default graphics installation. just runs off the cpu until you install the gpu drivers... ect.

...what? that's not really confusing, just install the drivers from the CD, and then install the driver for your graphics card

3 hours ago, xtremeguy2256 said:

...what? that's not really confusing, just install the drivers from the CD, and then install the driver for your graphics card

no, yeh i know but when i firsted booted the pc up. it automatically installed basic intel drivers for windows 10 so the only ones i noticed becaues its the first gaming pc i ever build that i needed was the gpu driver. and then boom. i thought i was done.. then i was like 3 weeks later.. isnt this a "gaming" motherboard if there is such a thing and.. yes apparently chipsets are just as important in a build as any other part of the computer. so i found and installed and boom it went from a geo tracker to a chevolet corvette.

To answer the question more thouroly.. thouroughly? Whatever. To answer the question better its very much the same as using a gpu before and after the drivers that tell your comp what it is exactly and how to best use it