i3 8100 vs i5 8400 (speed v cores)

I am currently looking at buying a new PC and within my budget the i3 8100 and i5 8400 keep popping up, however, one thing I have never truly understood is clock speed vs cores; the i3 8100 clocks at 3.60 vs i5's 2.80, but the i3 has 2 fewer cores and 3mb smaller cache; the i3 appears to be faster but the i5 appears to be able to handle more.

My limited understanding lends me to think that more cores = better, even if the clock speed is slower, but it surely cannot be that simple. I have tried to find the answer online but everywhere I end up gives reasoning towards gaming, but what I need is a PC for work.

Can anyone help me understand when more cores is beneficial and what kind of programs/usage requires multiple cores; i.e. would the 6 cores on the i5 be fully utilised or would only types of program benefit from them?

If your going for work, HARD i5 8400. But if you are doing work, I would probably get something like a i7. 

I am faster than 80% of all snakes

cpu: AMD Fx-8350

motherboard: GIGABYTE 970 (am3+)

RAM: 16gb ddr3 adata

gpu: AMD xfx rx 560 2gb

psu: 500w

storage: 1tb hdd

I am what you call “budget gamer”

1 minute ago, YourCrush1234 said:

If your going for work, HARD i5 8400. But if you are doing work, I would probably get something like a i7. 

I'm not following you (and I can't afford an i7).

5 minutes ago, compufix said:

Just buy an R5 1600 or 2600?

more cores/threads is certainly not always better, but  Ryzen's value is just so nice it's an easy recommendation IMO

if a game doesn't use more than 4 threads effectively then it doesn't matter if you have 32 cores/64 threads. Unless you wanted to run 8 instances of the game in question.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

ever heared about turbo clocks? they are meant for this... ryzen 1600/1700/2600/2700/1800x would be a way better option. and if you have some serious work and budget, take a look into the cowtipper... er treadripper

The i3 will run slower than the i5 because the i5 will boost up to 3.8 GHz all cores

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad