Connecting Older amplifier to a behringer sound board

ccm1092

Good day folks!

I have an older Onkyo HT-R8230 that I am trying to hook up to my laptop and or my phone via 3.5mm jack. I have done lots of A/V work but I am very rusty when it comes to this section of AV. I know the answer is simple but I simply cannot think of what the answer to my problem is. 
I have a BEHRINGER XENYX 1202FX for my sound board.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J5Y214/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Things I have tried so far, 3.5mm to RCA then 1/4 phono out of the board back to rca for a signal.Tried running directly from my phone (S9+) to the amplifier but that won't work either.

We moved about 3 months ago and I had a PC connected via optical and it worked perfectly. It was also in a closed room and not in a garage like it is now and I am not going to leave my 2ndary machine in the garage. Not if my dad and I will be working on projects and stuff.

For all the audiofiles who know more then me let me know what your solutions might be!

Thanks!

First make sure that the speakers are properly connected, check the cabling into the speaker terminals and from the back of the receiver. Check that any power sockets being used work (plug a lamp or something like a phone charger into it to check).

For the moment go straight from a phone/MP3 player/laptop into the receiver with a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable. Use either the "CD" input or the audio channels for any of the AV inputs (for simplicity just use the CD input). Make sure that the volume on the device is somewhere around 80% and if it's a laptop also make sure it's using the correct output.Having made sure the receiver has power and is on,Select the correct input on the receiver (so press the "CD" button on the bottom row, right hand side) and also select either the "stereo" or "Direct" listening mode just above the input selection. You may also need to select the correct speaker outputs (the A/B buttons on the far left, just above the headphone port). Then use the volume knob (far right, big, can't miss it) to control level.

If you don't get any volume out of the speakers, plug a pair of headphones into the receiver to check that signal is getting that far. If it is, but you're still not getting volume, then try a different input to the receiver (not impossible a circuit is dead), and double check each of the steps above.

Once you have that working, it's just a case of putting the mixer between source and receiver. Without using balanced connections, the easiest way would be to have a stereo 3.5mm to twin mono 6.35mm jacks and use the stereo channels on the board (5/6, 7/8, 9/10, 11/12) for up to four stereo inputs simultaneously. The output of the mixer is on two 6.35mm mono jacks, so a straight phono cable (two RCA to two RCA) with RCA to 6.35mm jack adapters will be best.

I really appreciate the detailed response. I was already doing to thing you suggested and it is still not working. I only have 1 RCA to 3.5mm jack and 1 rca to rca cables. They could be dead but at this time I do not know. I also tried swapping speakers out as well but that did not work :(

So, It is either bad ports or cables.

I will get another cable or 2 of each come payday. Thanks for the help Tom :)