Reference RX480 internal discoloration and fan clicking noise

Code-E

So I'm well outside my warranty period for this card. I'm just trying to keep it alive until I can upgrade.

But I noticed discoloration on parts of the internal components and I have no idea what that is or if I should even worry about it.

Spoiler

IMG_20181225_102753.thumb.jpg.655bf2f2b0475c594260dfd7315eb6d5.jpg

Also the fan is making a clicking sound that gets louder at higher loads. I know it's the fan because at max load I stopped it and the clicking stopped.

I was thinking about lubricating it, but I don't really know where to start with that. 

I was initially thinking WD40 but that doesn't seem like a good idea lol

im going to say the discoloration is from age and heat
as for the clicking...your fans are off balance/or bearing going bad so they are not spinning right..the clicking is them tapping on the heat sink

25 minutes ago, Code-E said:

You can just replace the whole heatsink, not sure how well the 2 fan model would do, should be fine since it's basically just a mini card heatsink, just have to make sure it fits the 480

Also you may lose VRM/Mosfet cooling, although really getting past like $50 is starting to get questionable in terms of value.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186052&Description=ARCTIC Accelero&cm_re=ARCTIC_Accelero-_-35-186-052-_-Product

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-Efficient-VRM-Cooling-DCACO-V800001-GBA01/dp/B00HHMJIIO

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Okay, I did kinda figure that it might be age. But the square components on the left were the ones I wasn't sure about.

16 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You can just replace the whole heatsink, not sure how well the 2 fan model would do, should be fine since it's basically just a mini card heatsink, just have to make sure it fits the 480

Also you may lose VRM/Mosfet cooling, although really getting past like $50 is starting to get questionable in terms of value.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186052&Description=ARCTIC Accelero&cm_re=ARCTIC_Accelero-_-35-186-052-_-Product

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Accelero-Efficient-VRM-Cooling-DCACO-V800001-GBA01/dp/B00HHMJIIO

Woah that's awesome, I never thought to look for aftermarket air coolers. Thanks for linking a smaller one too, I just built a mini-itx system. 

I definitely look into those.

Sorry for not cutting down the reply box, I'm on my phone and it's just not letting me get rid of it

11 minutes ago, Code-E said:

Do you mean the big grey blocks? Those are just the chokes, which is basically just a bit of copper.  The discoloration may have just been something left on the PCB from manufacturing, maybe some kind of oil or w/e.

The main isssue with the after market coolers is losing Mosfet/Memory cooling

There are water cooling options as well

The Kraken G10/G12 might be better but you still need to add extra cooling for the other components, it's really probably more work than it's worth

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

On 12/25/2018 at 11:40 AM, Streetguru said:

Thanks for the help, I suppose I'll start by asking here rather than starting a new thread...would you happen to know the height of the accelero mono plus? Specifically from where the cooler mounts to the video card. I just built a very small mini-itx build and I'm not sure if that one would fit.
I can't seem to find anything that's a smaller form factor.