Charger for mini quad rotor, picky about usb charging?

corrado33

Family got a few different types of mini quad rotors for christmas, and in the instructions for one type specifically says "Charge by connecting to computer USB, NOT a USB power supply (like for phones)" Now, I was pretty sure 5V is 5V is 5V regardless of where it comes from. And computer USB can often provide just as much amperage as the wall warts now. So I was super surprised when one of the batteries (out of the two of this type) didn't charge at all when connected to a wall wart, but charged just fine connected to a computer. What's up with that? 

Usually wall warts provide more amperage, like 2.3 amps for your cellphone battery. It sounds like there might be a safety circuit of sorts, to prevent giving it too much juice. It's the amperage you wanna look at. All USB power will be 5 volts. Go by what the manufacturer says. If you have a wall wart with 5v 1a it will be the same as a USB port on your computer.

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Usually wall warts provide more amperage, like 2.3 amps for your cellphone battery. It's the amperage you wanna look at. All USB power will be 5 volts. Go by what the manufacturer says. If you have a wall wart with 5v 1a it will be the same as a USB port on your computer.

Well the charger will only take how much amperage that it wants. It won't take the full 2.3A unless it wants it. And it's a lithium ion battery so it MUST have over voltage protection (unless the company wants to burn a customer's house down.) That's why I'm confused. 

That's not how I understand it. I know some are made to do that, but they usually specify it. Though, If I'm wrong, I'll take an educational lesson. But as you said, it can protect itself. Over voltage, and I'm sure amperage as well. That's what I think anyway.