pc makes my whole electricity go off

hikari1

hello, first of all Merry christmas & New year (and sorry for my bad english)

My friend recently got his father's pc it's like 6 years old or more, it has an i5 650, 8gb of ram, 1tb hdd, gt 210 2gb and an 750watt Psu

we tried to boot it up too see some stuff before moving it to his room, everything was working fine, so we bring it to his room and we plug it and powered it up, as we turned the psu on the whole electricy of the appartament went off for like 20seconds or something

we tried to unplug every cable and then plug it on a single "hole" or how you wanna call it but still the same problem. any suggestions? thanks

Where do you live?

Did this happen multiple times?

What else is running off of outlets on that side of the house? (heaters things that take up a lot of power etc).

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

Just now, MandoPanda said:

Where do you live?

Did this happen multiple times?

What else is running off of outlets on that side of the house? (heaters things that take up a lot of power etc).

hi, we live in Italy, we tried it like 2-3 times on different days, and the first time we had plugged in some phone charger, lights, we unpluged everything but we had the same issue again

Just now, saksham said:

what voltage and frequency do you get in the outlets?

uh wdk sorry, but as we said it was everything working before unpluging it from hes father's room

15 minutes ago, hikari1 said:

it has an i5 650, 8gb of ram, 1tb hdd, gt 210 2gb and an 750watt Psu

Which model PSU? Does the PSU have a red switch on the back with 115V or 230V written on it? If so, what's it set to?

15 minutes ago, hikari1 said:

we tried to boot it up too see some stuff before moving it to his room, everything was working fine, so we bring it to his room and we plug it and powered it up, as we turned the psu on the whole electricy of the appartament went off for like 20seconds or something

we tried to unplug every cable and then plug it on a single "hole" or how you wanna call it but still the same problem. any suggestions? thanks

Sounds as if something is tripping the breaker... Could be faulty wiring in the house to the bedroom, Overload on that circuit, Bad PSU, PSU set to wrong voltage...

Does the power cut off when any other electronic devices are plugged in to that socket?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

the quality of wires in the home is old or just broken. you should get that checked with an electrician. it will be expensive and time consuming, but i am 60% sure that this is the problem

i don't know the model.. i think it's an very old one, no, it has only the power on/off switch

4 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Which model PSU? Does the PSU have a red switch on the back with 115V or 230V written on it? If so, what's it set to?

Sounds as if something is tripping the breaker... Could be faulty wiring in the house to the bedroom, Overload on that circuit, Bad PSU, PSU set to wrong voltage...

Does the power cut off when any other electronic devices are plugged in to that socket?

idk it maybe the voltage problem 

12 minutes ago, hikari1 said:

i don't know the model.. i think it's an very old one, no, it has only the power on/off switch

Does it have a label on the side of the PSU? Can you take a photo of it? Might be able to identify what it is from a photo. If you're planning on using the system, I'd recommend replacing the PSU since it's 'very old' and unknown model.

Replacing the PSU might help solve the issue, but if it doesn't you might need an electrician out to check the condition of your internal wiring (or contact landlord if you're renting in an apartment).

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Does it have a label on the side of the PSU? Can you take a photo of it? Might be able to identify what it is from a photo. If you're planning on using the system, I'd recommend replacing the PSU since it's 'very old' and unknown model.

Replacing the PSU might help solve the issue, but if it doesn't you might need an electrician out to check the condition of your internal wiring (or contact landlord if you're renting in an apartment).

oke thx, tomorrow i will take a photo of the psu and maybe try to change it(its 4am here) thx for help

replacing the power supply is just covering up a underlying issue with your power which could mean ,, somewhere possibly in the breaker  box as we call them in the states ,,,   where you  have a  series of circuit breakers if its making the entire house or apartments power going out then you  might have  a loose ground   in your main power outlet circuit breaker or  could be a bad circuit breaker for that matter thats become weak , the best bet for you is to resolve the matter by  having a electrician come and  check things out. 

9 hours ago, Toxicknight79 said:

replacing the power supply is just covering up a underlying issue with your power which could mean ,, somewhere possibly in the breaker  box as we call them in the states ,,,   where you  have a  series of circuit breakers if its making the entire house or apartments power going out then you  might have  a loose ground   in your main power outlet circuit breaker or  could be a bad circuit breaker for that matter thats become weak , the best bet for you is to resolve the matter by  having a electrician come and  check things out. 

1142085548_WhatsAppImage2018-12-25at13_47_04.thumb.jpeg.0ec395c63f3fa62f876ff0a3a4930355.jpeg