Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RX 580 increasing temps of the entire case. Is there anything I can do?

Ragnar Lothbrok

Hi guys.
I assembled a new mid-range pc last week. This is my first gaming pc. I noticed that the fans of the MSI Armor RX 580 spin very loud when I play AAA titles like GTA V, Battlefield 5, etc. The loudness isn't a problem because I put on headphones when playing.

The main issue is my GPU temps. They seem very high. Right now, I'm averaging between 69-72 degree celsius under load. My CPU never reaches temps that high when I'm playing. I'm a newbie at the temps and airflow stuff. But I think those temps are high, aren't they?

In Wattman, I've set the fans to kick in 100% at 75 degree celsius.

Also, when I touch the back panel of the PC case (the side that does not have a glass panel), it is hot. So hot in fact that I can literally feel the hot air escaping from the top and the sides. I'm using Cooler Master Masterbox H500P Mesh with the fans that come with it. Everything is being used exactly how they came, no additional fans, etc.

Do you guys think I should add 2 more fans at the top of the case for air intake to cool down the case even more? Or is there anything else I can do to avoid getting my entire case hot which I think in the long run would end up hurting the other components as well.

Let me know. Thanks.

Here are some images of the build for reference: https://imgur.com/a/SYckZWE

I'll be changing the CPU cooler very soon but that's not relevant to this post. I rarely use a lot of CPU power. When I'm not gaming, 90% of my time is spent in MS word & chrome.

Those temps are perfectly fine and normal.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Those temps are perfectly fine and normal.

It's normal if those temps remain the same in the long run?

I was worried there for a second. 

Your GPU temp is fine, but i'd recommend putting your GPU in the top X16 slot closest to the CPU cooler, the lower one is only x4.

1 minute ago, Ragnar Lothbrok said:

It's normal if those temps remain the same in the long run?

I was worried there for a second. 

Get worried at like 85 or 90+

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Your GPU temp is fine, but i'd recommend putting your GPU in the top X16 slot closest to the CPU cooler, the lower one is only x4.

Does that make a difference? I'm not sure what x16 or x4 means. 

Your temps are fine, you also have to take into account the ambient temperature of the room you're in. Might be quite high as well.

You can try and add more fans to exhaust the heat, might work. You put your hand at the back of the case...where there's an exhaust fan. Did you think you'd be feeling cool air coming out of the case? ? Your system is doing exactly what it's designed to do.

Also, welcome to AMD ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: AMD Radeon 6700XT 12GB PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Your temps are fine, you also have to take into account the ambient temperature of the room you're in. Might be quite high as well.

You can try and add more fans to exhaust the heat, might work. You put your hand at the back of the case...where there's an exhaust fan. Did you think you'd be feeling cool air coming out of the case? ? Your system is doing exactly what it's designed to do.

Also, welcome to AMD ;)

I knew AMD is hawt. But damn. I didn't know it'd be this hot. 

Yes I can feel the cool air coming out of the exhaust area. And when I'm gaming, I can feel the warm air escaping the case. I was worried about the case heating up and also feeling warm air escape from the sides of the front mesh panel, which was a little weird.

But if you say the temps are fine, I'll sleep peacefully knowing that it won't destroy the other components. 

22 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Have you noticed the size and looks of the slot and how the above slot looks exactly the same and the somewhat lower slot differs for a bit.. That is the x4 slot.

19 minutes ago, Ragnar Lothbrok said:

Its about the height of the data tranferal rates. no need to worry. i have a similair setup with 1060 and decided on putting in a total of 5 fans. 2 on the front panel two intakes on the top and bottom aimed at each other with the airflow just passing the edge of the gpu.. only difference is that i use an aftermarket air cooler... temps are just at or above 60 for the gpu and between 40 and mid 50 for the cpu, which is a ryzen 5 2600

35 minutes ago, Ragnar Lothbrok said:

Sorry, I should have explained, as mentioned above its a higher transfer rate, and an x16 slot has more pins in the connector.

13 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

Have you noticed the size and looks of the slot and how the above slot looks exactly the same and the somewhat lower slot differs for a bit.. That is the x4 slot.

I meant the other grey PCI-e slot, i looked at the Gigabyte website and the above slot is specified as x16, but it should be fine on either pci-e slot.

26 minutes ago, Ragnar Lothbrok said:

I knew AMD is hawt. But damn. I didn't know it'd be this hot. 

Yes I can feel the cool air coming out of the exhaust area. And when I'm gaming, I can feel the warm air escaping the case. I was worried about the case heating up and also feeling warm air escape from the sides of the front mesh panel, which was a little weird.

But if you say the temps are fine, I'll sleep peacefully knowing that it won't destroy the other components. 

Well yes. When your PC is under load, it's going to generate more heat. When it's not doing anything, nothing's strained.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: AMD Radeon 6700XT 12GB PSU: Corsair SF600 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

14 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

I meant the other grey PCI-e slot, i looked at the Gigabyte website and the above slot is specified as x16, but it should be fine on either pci-e slot.

I just worked through the booklet of my own motherboard and you are partly right. The top slot is a x16 slot and the 2d slot is a x8 slot... if sli or crossfire is used both slots act as a x8 slot. The highest slot is recommended for single card use… ( my motherboard is a gigabyte aorus ultra gaming )

The bottom slot is a x4 slot which will be disabled if the m2. drive is in use, which it is in my case! 

btw... shouldn't the memory be placed in a another way? this way you can't make use of the double band feature.... its either slot 1 and 3 or slot 2 and 4

@Blademaster91 
@dizmo
@Ragnar Lothbrok
@Enderman

20 minutes ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

btw... shouldn't the memory be placed in a another way? this way you can't make use of the double band feature.... its either slot 1 and 3 or slot 2 and 4

@Blademaster91 
@dizmo
@Ragnar Lothbrok
@Enderman

Dual Channel*
But yes, you are correct.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler