Deciding what cpu to go with

I’m about to build a new rig, I currently have a Vega 64 and 3 1080p 75hrz FreeSync monitors. What’s going to give me the best FPS and is there an advantage to keeping everything and.

2600 is unbeatable for the price it's going for. add a nice x470 or b450 board and you can game on for a while. and it will support the new zen 2 chips, so an upgrade path is there too

4 minutes ago, Matthewbarkhouse said:

I’m about to build a new rig, I currently have a Vega 64 and 3 1080p 75hrz FreeSync monitors. What’s going to give me the best FPS and is there an advantage to keeping everything and.

This is kind of a loaded question, what CPU do you currently have?

If you are only trying to push 1080p 75 fps then you shouldn't have any issues with any modern CPU's 

What games do you plan on playing?

If you already have an okay CPU you would be better off with a newer monitor 

But if you had to pick a CPU that wouldn't bottlneck your system, a Ryzen 5 2600x, or a i5 9600k would be best.

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

28 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

2600 is unbeatable for the price it's going for. add a nice x470 or b450 board and you can game on for a while. and it will support the new zen 2 chips, so an upgrade path is there too

I currently have a older ROG tower with an i7 3770k. It runs my games fine but I’m getting worried about heat now with that big gpu. I’m torn between the i5 9600k or 2700x I want as future proof as possible. I mainly play iracing it’s a sim racing game. It doesn’t support over 60hrz on triples right now so I’m not worried about monitors.

3BD8125C-6726-48E7-811A-669FB66AA7B2.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

This is kind of a loaded question, what CPU do you currently have?

If you are only trying to push 1080p 75 fps then you shouldn't have any issues with any modern CPU's 

What games do you plan on playing?

If you already have an okay CPU you would be better off with a newer monitor 

But if you had to pick a CPU that wouldn't bottlneck your system, a Ryzen 5 2600x, or a i5 9600k would be best.

I currently have a older ROG tower with an i7 3770k. It runs my games fine but I’m getting worried about heat now with that big gpu. I’m torn between the i5 9600k or 2700x I want as future proof as possible. I mainly play iracing it’s a sim racing game. It doesn’t support over 60hrz on triples right now so I’m not worried about monitors.

4052D455-FEA7-4203-BD3A-1598D41E82AF.jpeg

1 hour ago, Matthewbarkhouse said:

Id suggest waiting the month or two for the 3600X seeing at is comparable to the current Ryzen 7 2700X but its 12 core 24 thread at 4.2 with a boost clock of 5 ghz... also AMD promised to  continue support for the AM4 socket through 2020 so you have expand ability and that CPU is gonna run like $350. worth the wait and will blow most of intel out of the water with the Zen 3 7nm tech... 

28 minutes ago, Matthewbarkhouse said:

well, the 3770k is still a great one, you could upgrade your cooling a bit as alternative. if you really feel like upgrading i would choose the 2700(x), because of the upgrade path amd gives with it. but i also suggest waiting for what ces has to offer...

1 minute ago, Connor_LindTV said:

Id suggest waiting the month or two for the 3600X seeing at is comparable to the current Ryzen 7 2700X but its 12 core 24 thread at 4.2 with a boost clock of 5 ghz... also AMD promised to  continue support for the AM4 socket through 2020 so you have expand ability and that CPU is gonna run like $350. worth the wait and will blow most of intel out of the water with the Zen 3 7nm tech... 

yeah, those are some weird rumors. they seem a bit over the top for me. but i agree that op should wait

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

well, the 3770k is still a great one, you could upgrade your cooling a bit as alternative. if you really feel like upgrading i would choose the 2700(x), because of the upgrade path amd gives with it. but i also suggest waiting for what ces has to offer...

thats exactly what i was talking about 

20 minutes ago, Connor_LindTV said:

20 minutes ago, Connor_LindTV said:

Yea sounds like I’m gonna wait lol I didnt even clips in that new amd stuff is soon.

3 hours ago, Connor_LindTV said:

yep, sorry. i was typing it at the same time as you did... don't mind me

3 hours ago, Matthewbarkhouse said:

Yea sounds like I’m gonna wait lol I didnt even clips in that new amd stuff is soon.

good choice, even if it's for the discount