Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Migrating to Europe

Guest
 Share

I'm from a south Asian country and I'm looking forward to migrating to Europe. But right now I'm pretty much at the start of the process. So I would like to have some advice.

As for the countries, I'm considering pretty much every EU member state but I would much prefer Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg and Ireland.

I'm also considering Switzerland, Norway and Iceland.

I would greatly appreciate any response from you and thank you for your time.

P.S. I think most of the countries will categorized me as a skilled worker

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

These all look like countries you could get away with not speaking the language, especially Norway and the Netherlands. (Of course I am not counting Ireland, since... Well you're speaking English just fine here :P) 

It entirely depends what kind of job you are looking for, because in some industries it's totally acceptable to only speak English and some industries are always hiring basically.

Many of these countries are also quite open to immigration as far as I know. Don't know too much of Luxembourg (in terms of migration, way of living, etc.) though, so can't comment on that one too much.

 

I'm from the Netherlands, so if you have any specific questions I could help you out with links and such.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

 

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

 

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

These all look like countries you could get away with not speaking the language, especially Norway and the Netherlands. (Of course I am not counting Ireland, since... Well you're speaking English just fine here :P) 

It entirely depends what kind of job you are looking for, because in some industries it's totally acceptable to only speak English and some industries are always hiring basically.

Many of these countries are also quite open to immigration as far as I know. Don't know too much of Luxembourg (in terms of migration, way of living, etc.) though, so can't comment on that one too much.

 

I'm from the Netherlands, so if you have any specific questions I could help you out with links and such.

Thank you! I will contact you if I encounter a problem about Netherlands.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Get your self a job. This is the fastet way to migrate. Without it is fare more complicated.

Depending on how valuable you are embassys might have job offers you could apply for or your new employer will help you with the paper work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a really difficult one to answer but from just looking at the list of countries you have mentioned then you have some in the EU and others that are not. I believe for example Switzerland is very difficult to move to as their immigration laws are very strict unless you are just rolling in it ($). Norway is out of the EU as well as well they don't need to be in it due to their oil supplies but it is a lovely country. Though a bit cold for my liking and so I would not even think about Iceland. 

 

If you only speak English though then of course your easiest country to move to would be Ireland and maybe you could say Luxembourg as well. I have personally done a move like this, but just within the EU to the UK. It is definitely doable, but you have got to have a good cash reserve to survive a minimum of 6 months, in my opinion. That's if you don't have job to go to straight away. 

 

I agree with James though, you really should find a job first if you have good skills and use it to get yourself over to Europe. 

 

Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, ToKo1188 said:

This is a really difficult one to answer but from just looking at the list of countries you have mentioned then you have some in the EU and others that are not. I believe for example Switzerland is very difficult to move to as their immigration laws are very strict unless you are just rolling in it ($). Norway is out of the EU as well as well they don't need to be in it due to their oil supplies but it is a lovely country. Though a bit cold for my liking and so I would not even think about Iceland. 

 

If you only speak English though then of course your easiest country to move to would be Ireland and maybe you could say Luxembourg as well. I have personally done a move like this, but just within the EU to the UK. It is definitely doable, but you have got to have a good cash reserve to survive a minimum of 6 months, in my opinion. That's if you don't have job to go to straight away. 

 

I agree with James though, you really should find a job first if you have good skills and use it to get yourself over to Europe. 

 

Good luck!

Thank you! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, James Evens said:

Get your self a job. This is the fastet way to migrate. Without it is fare more complicated.

Depending on how valuable you are embassys might have job offers you could apply for or your new employer will help you with the paper work.

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chamidu Udagedara said:

I'm also considering Switzerland, Norway and Iceland

 

These are great countries because I want to leave Germany and highly consider them. Switzerland is by far my favorite because the country is beautiful, high wages, low tax rate but with the downside of high living costs. I already looked for job requirements and most companies require you to be fluent in German.

 

You could always migrate first to an EU country and move to Switzerland or Norway once you have EU citizenship.

 

The OECD has a tax comparison list for Europe ( (2018 data):  http://www.oecd.org/ctp/tax-policy/taxing-wages-20725124.htm

Really annoying that some countries steal nearly 50% of your wage.

 

It really depends where you get a foot in the door regarding the working Visa but I personally would stay away from southern EU countries because they have more problems then northern countries, for example, employment rate.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

These are great countries because I want to leave Germany and highly consider them. Switzerland is by far my favorite because the country is beautiful, high wages, low tax rate but with the downside of high living costs. I already looked for job requirements and most companies require you to be fluent in German.

 

You could always migrate first to an EU country and move to Switzerland or Norway once you have EU citizenship.

 

 The OECD has a tax comparison list for Europe ( (2018 data):  http://www.oecd.org/ctp/tax-policy/taxing-wages-20725124.htm

Really annoying that some countries steal nearly 50% of your wage.

 

It really depends where you get a foot in the door regarding the working Visa but I personally would stay away from southern EU countries because they have more problems then northern countries, for example, employment rate.

 

 

Thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and Welcome to the Forum !

 

If you are considering to immigrate to Switzerland then our Website for immigration may help you out:

 

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/themen.html

 

For any further questions you can just ask me directly since I'm Swiss by myself.

Make sure to Quote or mention me @soldier_ph if you want me to see your reply or Content such as Status Updates, Threads, Album entries or Blog Posts.

 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

 

https://www.lttstore.com/

 

Where I was Mentioned: 

Mentioned in 5.8.2020 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8.8.2020 Techlinked

Mentioned in 11.3.2021 Techlinked

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Pascal... said:

Hello and Welcome to the Forum !

 

If you are considering to immigrate to Switzerland then our Website for immigration may help you out:

 

https://www.sem.admin.ch/sem/en/home/themen.html

 

For any further questions you can just ask me directly since I'm Swiss by myself.

Thank you!

Is there any way to apply for a work visa without the help of an employer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Chamidu Udagedara said:

Thank you!

Is there any way to apply for a work visa without the help of an employer?

 

 

Quote from the Website of the State Secretariat for Migration:

 

"If you come from a non EU/EFTA state and would like to work in Switzerland, you may only do so if you are highly qualified, i.e. if you are a manager, specialist or other skilled professional. This means, above all, you should have a degree from university or an institution of higher education, as well as with several years of professional work experience.

Besides professional qualifications, you are also required to fulfil certain other criteria, which facilitate your long-term professional and social integration. These include; professional and social adaptability, knowledge of a language (or languages) and age.

Your future employee must prove that there is no suitable person to fill the job vacancy from Switzerland or from an EU/EFTA state. Also, the salary, social security contributions and the terms of employment for foreign workers must be in accordance with conditions customary to the region, the professional and the particular sector."

Make sure to Quote or mention me @soldier_ph if you want me to see your reply or Content such as Status Updates, Threads, Album entries or Blog Posts.

 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

 

https://www.lttstore.com/

 

Where I was Mentioned: 

Mentioned in 5.8.2020 Techlinked

Mentioned in 8.8.2020 Techlinked

Mentioned in 11.3.2021 Techlinked

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×