Should I sell my 16GB Optane Memory or keep it?

boey
Go to solution Solved by SidM,

ya sell it, it wont be of much use since you can already keep frequent applications on the ssd. Also wowwww, i have the same cooling setup as you, an x72 with 6 ll120s in push pull. And let me tell you the rgb on those maglev fans are crap. Get ll120s everywhere they will perfectly match that beautiful pc 011 dynamic

Basically I’m about to upgrade from an Alienware prebuilt, and I’ll be selling the old parts from the Alienware that I’m not using. Should I use the 16GB of Optane Memory that came with the Alienware or sell it?

New PC(I know the cooler is overkill, I’m planning on getting a high end zen 2 chip at the end of next year):

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8 GHz 6-Core Processor $193.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler NZXT - Kraken X72 Liquid CPU Cooler $179.96 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - B360 GAMING ARCTIC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $113.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $139.99 @ Newegg
Storage SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $41.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $147.00 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card $354.99 @ Newegg Business
Case Lian-Li - PC-O11DW ATX Full Tower Case $142.97 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $98.89 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair - ML120 Pro LED White 75 CFM 120mm Fan $24.84 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Corsair - LL120 RGB LED 43.25 CFM 120mm Fan $24.99 @ Amazon
Case Fan Corsair - LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120mm Fans $99.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1728.13
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $1708.13
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-24 07:20 EST-0500  

ya sell it, it wont be of much use since you can already keep frequent applications on the ssd. Also wowwww, i have the same cooling setup as you, an x72 with 6 ll120s in push pull. And let me tell you the rgb on those maglev fans are crap. Get ll120s everywhere they will perfectly match that beautiful pc 011 dynamic

8 minutes ago, SidM said:

Yeah, I really want this build to look amazing. Can’t seem to find individually sleeved PSU cables at my local stores though, probably have to order them online.

I looked for help on Corsair forums and basically all I got was ‘Stick to 6 fans’ since the RGB LED Fan Controller that comes with the LL120 3 pack only supports 6 fans, and according to the Mod on the Corsair forums the only splitters I’d be able to get can only be found on Ebay, so I just stuck with non RGB fans since those ML120 Whites only need 1 PWM connection. If I somehow find a solution to this I’d be more than happy to upgrade those fans to LL120s. Also I wouldn’t mind using the ML fans as rad fans since they have pretty high SP and airflow compared to the LL fans.

11 minutes ago, SidM said:

an x72 with 6 ll120s in push pull.

Unless you wanna see RGB on both sides of the rad I’d suggest keeping them to one side only, push pull doesn’t really help a lot(Linus did a video on push vs pull vs push pull I think, all three had no difference.

9 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

‘Stick to 6 fans’ since the RGB LED Fan Controller that comes with the LL120 3 pack only supports 6 fans

thats where you are wrong my friend, if done correctly you can have upto 12 fans. The 6 fan bay connects to a commander pro. So through the commander pro you can connect 2 six fan bays and therefore have a total of 12 fans.

1 minute ago, SidM said:

thats where you are wrong my friend, if done correctly you can have upto 12 fans. The 6 fan bay connects to a commander pro. So through the commander pro you can connect 2 six fan bays and therefore have a total of 12 fans.

Ah, so I purchase 2 3packs of LL120s to get 2 RGB Fan controllers, then a Commander pro to link them together?

11 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Ah, so I purchase 2 3packs of LL120s to get 2 RGB Fan controllers, then a Commander pro to link them together?

lol i myself had a lot of confusion regarding this, in fact i contacted corsiar while planning my build. yes ur correct

im currently not at home so i cant exacyly send u a pic of my config so i would recommend keeping corsair on the line while installing the fans(or even before u buy the fans)

Just now, SidM said:

im currently not at home so i cant exacyly send u a pic of my config so i would recommend keeping corsair on the line while installing the fans(or even before u buy the fans)

So basically, have 6 fans connected to one fan controller, and 3 on the other. then connect both controllers to the commander pro and plug in the commander pro? 

to ur usb 2.0 header, yes. Tho I would recommend a confirmation from corsair.

6 minutes ago, SidM said:

to ur usb 2.0 header, yes. Tho I would recommend a confirmation from corsair.

Ok thanks, you helped me more than several moderators on the Corsair forums, thank you so much ?

4 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Ok thanks, you helped me more than several moderators on the Corsair forums, thank you so much ?

happy to help?