Can the bitmain antminer s9 run with only one fan?

MojangYang
Go to solution Solved by leadeater,
3 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

I DO NOT recommend anyone to add to or alter the components of complicated electronics. Pwm fans are not supposed be connected to the miner with high resistance while running at low rpm. I guess i can replace it with the best Noctua fan i can find

Adding a low value resistor is fine, all you're doing is dropping the impulse voltage slightly. There is the possibility it'll make the spin sense inaccurate but that's more down the the PWM controller. If you're not comfortable modifying the fans or replacing them you can just get a single fan PWN controller like this, https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NA-FC1-4-pin-PWM-Controller/dp/B072M2HKSN, but I'd find a cheaper one than that. 

Hi guys. The bitcoin miner s9 has a big problem: it is louder than i thought!

since the two 120mm fans are both passing the same air at the same direction, i wonder if i can disconnect the rear fan. Will the system overheat and fry?

the 40mm fan in the psu is actually the loudest of all the fans i’ve Heard in my life, with a higher cfm than some 90mm fans, but there is only one fan in the psu so i can’t remove it. But i think i can remove the rear 120mm fan.

You could replace the 40mm fan with a quieter one, for the rear fan I'd use a resister to slow it down, doing that to the front is also an option. Are there any temperature monitoring capabilities for the s9 so you can know if the temps are too high?

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You could replace the 40mm fan with a quieter one, for the rear fan I'd use a resister to slow it down, doing that to the front is also an option. Are there any temperature monitoring capabilities for the s9 so you can know if the temps are too high?

I DO NOT recommend anyone to add to or alter the components of complicated electronics. Pwm fans are not supposed be connected to the miner with high resistance while running at low rpm. I guess i can replace it with the best Noctua fan i can find

3 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

Adding a low value resistor is fine, all you're doing is dropping the impulse voltage slightly. There is the possibility it'll make the spin sense inaccurate but that's more down the the PWM controller. If you're not comfortable modifying the fans or replacing them you can just get a single fan PWN controller like this, https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NA-FC1-4-pin-PWM-Controller/dp/B072M2HKSN, but I'd find a cheaper one than that.