Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CPU Heats to 85C Instantly Then Stays There

TTesla
 Share

Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

Thats normal with Prime95. As long as its not getting really any hotter, you're fine. 

Running prime95 the CPU VERY quickly (1-2 seconds) reaches 75-80 C then slowly gets up to around 85C. Staying at 100% the whole time, and at full speed (ie no thermal throttling is happening). 

 

What is causing this? 

Perhaps too much thermal paste?

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats normal with Prime95. As long as its not getting really any hotter, you're fine. 

PSU Tier List Thread | Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | Corsair HX850 PSU

 

Dedicated Streaming Rig

 Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TeenTesla said:

Running prime95 the CPU VERY quickly (1-2 seconds) reaches 75-80 C then slowly gets up to around 85C. Staying at 100% the whole time, and at full speed (ie no thermal throttling is happening). 

 

What is causing this? 

Perhaps too much thermal paste?

full specs? are u running blend or fft

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll evga non-3090 tie ftw3 1905 0.8v 65C 270w (double fps of 1080ti) ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll x27 ll PA272w

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666  bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA non-30 tie XC 1830//7600 0.85v 210w ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA242w (movie, work mon dying) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

what CPU and cooler r u using. btw you can never have too much thermal paste. 85 is good for prime95 when overclocked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, SidM said:

what CPU and cooler r u using. btw you can never have too much thermal paste. 85 is good for prime95 when overclocked.

 

12 minutes ago, xg32 said:

full specs? are u running blend or fft

 

12 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Thats normal with Prime95. As long as its not getting really any hotter, you're fine. 

OCing an older i5-4670k (4 cores, 4 threads), bumped VCORE to 1.24 V, and base clock to 4 GHz on a hyper 212 evo. Not my main rig, but just put the 212 evo on today, and felt a bit too generous with the tim, but I did double check to make sure none leaked.

 

It just seemed surprising that the CPU would get that hot that quick, almost like it was thermally insulated from the cooler (which is why I thought maybe too much TIM). 

 

Prime95 was set to fft, for that max heat.

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TeenTesla said:

 

 

OCing an older i5-4670k (4 cores, 4 threads), bumped VCORE to 1.24 V, and base clock to 4 GHz on a hyper 212 evo. Not my main rig, but just put the 212 evo on today, and felt a bit too generous with the tim, but I did double check to make sure none leaked.

 

It just seemed surprising that the CPU would get that hot that quick, almost like it was thermally insulated from the cooler (which is why I thought maybe too much TIM). 

There was a video earlier this year from Gamer's Nexus tackling the notion of "too much thermal paste."  It doesn't make that much difference how much you put on as long as everything is covered.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's how computers work...

It is normal.

 

Image result for cpu temperature graph

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, TeenTesla said:

.

-corrected-

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll evga non-3090 tie ftw3 1905 0.8v 65C 270w (double fps of 1080ti) ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll x27 ll PA272w

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666  bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA non-30 tie XC 1830//7600 0.85v 210w ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA242w (movie, work mon dying) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Swarlos said:

There was a video earlier this year from Gamer's Nexus tackling the notion of "too much thermal paste."  It doesn't make that much difference how much you put on as long as everything is covered.

 

 

You know I watched that, and even liked the video, can't believe I forgot this quickly...

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, xg32 said:

i had to check since it's been awhile, it's normal for it to heat up fast, but the TJmax for the 4670k is 73C, so make sure you aren't heating up to 85C in regular usage.

TJ Maxx is 105c, not 73c. 

PSU Tier List Thread | Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | Corsair HX850 PSU

 

Dedicated Streaming Rig

 Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

That's how computers work...

It is normal.

 

Image result for cpu temperature graph

Been a while since I've done this, suppose I just forgot. Thanks for the heads up

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×