SATA or PCI drive

Fragman1995
Go to solution Solved by Olllllli,

I have a 970 evo (NVMe) and a 850 pro (Sata 2.5inch SSD). The NVMe is effectively ~4x faster, but in the real world, I haven't noticed this much at all. 
I use the NVMe for Windows and GTAV (Like a 90GB Game), and the load times aren't noticeably better. 

Hi guys, I need to add more storage to my computer but I am unsure if I should invest more on an NVMe drive. I mostly use my computer for gaming and I know the load times would be better, but can someone tell me if the difference is in reality that much, and if it is worth the money. I know it depends on the brand too, but I want to have a better general ideal.

No it is not worth.

NVME is more for video editing and other tasks that involve lots of file transfers.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

a lot of games still run fine off of an HDD.

NVMe is not worth yet for the average consumer / gamer. 

In a few years when the price comes down, then go for it

for now though, a SATA SSD is the way to go

pretty much if you dont know if it is worth it or not, than it is not worth it

I have a 970 evo (NVMe) and a 850 pro (Sata 2.5inch SSD). The NVMe is effectively ~4x faster, but in the real world, I haven't noticed this much at all. 
I use the NVMe for Windows and GTAV (Like a 90GB Game), and the load times aren't noticeably better. 

nvme is not worth. just use SATA. nvme will help load times and windows responsiveness, but not that much compared to sata. if hdd vs sata ssd is 20x performance, sata to nvme is about 1.5x

if you only need windows to load faster by about 3 secs, upgrade to nvme. In games, there is no difference in loading time as games are not able to harness the super fast speeds to nvme. In real-world applications, the only difference you will see are faster boot time and better results in video editing and file transfer.

1 hour ago, SidM said:

if you only need windows to load faster by about 3 secs, upgrade to nvme. In games, there is no difference in loading time as games are not able to harness the super fast speeds to nvme. In real-world applications, the only difference you will see are faster boot time and better results in video editing and file transfer.

Windows will not boot faster with NVME.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020