Will i see a benifit by adding another stick of ram?

jonfunko

I am using an Acer Aspire GX-785-UR1D Desktop Computer and im trying to figure out if ill get much benifit, from adding a second stick of ram to use dual channel as they only used one stick, in this system

It's worth it. 1 stick of 8gb ddr4 isn't very expensive, and you'll get up to 10-15% more performance using dual channel for most applications. I recommend checking your system to see the model number on your original ram module and try to get the same one

7 minutes ago, Cvet76 said:

It depends on what you do with your computer. Generally 16 gigs of RAM is better than 8 and dual channel is always better than single channel. But it doesn't really make that much of a difference if you don't utilize it.

That being said, though, If you have the space on the motherboard, go ahead. Just make sure you match new stick with the built in one, or buy a new pair altogether, save the old one for rainy days or sell it. I'd also check for RAM compatibility on the motherboard.

I'm right to assume you have a single stick of 8 gigs of RAM right now?

yup my system came with a single 8gb stick and im streaming and gaming on this system, using obs, and chrome at the same time, so i figure more ram cant hurt but wanted to make cure im doing it right

/agree with Cvet76.  I looked up the Acer Aspire GX-785-UR1D, but I don't see them list the RAM speed and timings.  You'll want to check your BIOS or at the label on the stick of RAM itself to match speed and timings so everything pairs up smoothly.

5 hours ago, jonfunko said:

yup my system came with a single 8gb stick and im streaming and gaming on this system, using obs, and chrome at the same time, so i figure more ram cant hurt but wanted to make cure im doing it right

If you're streaming and gaming at the same time I would venture to say that you should see some good performance increases moving to dual channel. In my own system running in dual channel VS single channel I saw a noticeable improvement in games that hardly use half of my current memory. You should be able to use 16gb's of ram, or at least more than 8, not to mention the bandwidth increase by using another slot could help a lot in OBS and while streaming.

21 hours ago, Swarlos said:

/agree with Cvet76.  I looked up the Acer Aspire GX-785-UR1D, but I don't see them list the RAM speed and timings.  You'll want to check your BIOS or at the label on the stick of RAM itself to match speed and timings so everything pairs up smoothly.

what do you mean timings, what i saw when looking on newegg, i saw, its 8gb ddr4 2400