Ryzen 2600x + x470 Prime Pro + ML240 = Woes

Hi all,

As the title suggests, I have some woes following the build of my new machine based on a Ryzen 2600X.

For clarity, specs are below:

• Ryzen 2600X 
  • Asus X470 Prime Pro
  • 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LGX 3000Mhz
  • MSI RTX 2070
  • Coolermaster ML240 RGB
  • S340 Elite case

So, let me begin. Firstly, I love this system, not least because it's a little bit different to the all intel units I've built previously, but I'm having a few issues, probably mostly temperature related.

Noise is a big one. I've used the BIOS and QFAN to control the case fans and when they a) ramp up and b) even turn on (not until 50C basically) as well as the 2 x fans on the ML240 positioned at the front of the S340 pulling in air over the radiator with the 2 x stock NZXT fans in exhaust (rear and top). I see quite big idle jumps from 28C to 45C, usually sitting somewhere in the top 30s to mid-40s. I know that's not that bad, but the fluctuation makes the fans ramp up and down, up and down like a yoyo. So there's that.

There's also the fact that in stock BIOS configuration, I was not actually ramping up past 3.6Ghz core clock....only since I found the PBO and XFR settings am I now getting that, but again I had to set a manual core clock target, otherwise the BIOS was sitting at 3.9Ghz.

I know this post is a bit of a brain dump, and I think that highlights where I'm at currently with this build. It's stable, and it's running but it needs some tweaking and some love to get it purring and I'm seemingly a poor servant to it currently. Anybody with any pearls of wisdom as to fan configuration on radiator, replacement fans for better airflow and lower noise, fan curves, and of course the performance settings in BIOS, please feel free to point me in the right direction; I really want this Ryzen system to purr.

Finally, I'm getting a weird issue whereby videos on my secondary display (identical to my 1080p primary) are stuttering when I'm playing games in full screen, regardless of the fact that the game is not taxing the CPU/GPU.....fun and games...long way to go eh?

(Oh, and as an aside, I do a bit of editing in MAgix Movie Edit Pro for the Wife's projects, and it's 5 times slower on this build than my I5-3570K, probably due to the lack of an iGPU and other intel-friendly stuff...so there's that)