Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NAS Hard Drive can't be detected

sh1Ft_bR3aKEr

Hi. I got a NAS Drive today, WD Red 3TB, and when I plugged it into my PC it was making this sort of noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pEQOedSXC4 (not my video, just one I found)

Does anyone know what this is, and if so, can it be resolved?

P.S. Apologies about before. Don't know how but I had somehow submitted this topic as I was typing.

More detail maybe? Specs of nas and hdd? Things you've already tried? What your goal is? (I'll assume right now that you accidentally posted this and are currently editing it)

EDIT: Okay thought so, lol. I hope that doesn't happen to me.

I don't know enough about the internals of HDDs to know what exactly is making that sound. However, I don't think it's a healthy one. If it's new, I would RMA it.

I bought it from my local computer exchange store, think I might try get a refund if NAS drive can't be resolved :/

Meant to add this when editing my post above (but instead, panicking to type something up quick, lol).. After discovering that the NAS drive didn't show up on Disk Management, nor in the BIOS, the only thing I tried up was using a different SATA cable that I knew worked, hoping it'd resolve the problem. Its the first time I've experienced a drive do this, so I'm not really sure what else to do :/ The noise that it made (which is the link on my post above) only happened throughout booting the PC, but when it came to booting Windows or when I was in the BIOS Settings, it was quiet.

Btw I've been trying the NAS drive on my 2nd PC (already had Windows 10), rather than the one I use often. Was checking to see if it worked fine as I'm planning on building a small server at some point in the new year.