Need help with monitor response time

ShadowLight
Go to solution Solved by Stealhelm,

Dell (and a select few of other display vendors) have something they call a "fast" response mode. Which is merely a software setting that essentially "overclocks" your monitors refresh rate (see @MysteriousAeon's reply for an explanation of what refresh rate is.) This allows for a faster updating of the pixels whilst significantly worsening the quality of the image. Ghosting and other artifacts are not uncommon when "overclocking" your display.

I'd recommend that you don't use this feature and keep the display at its normal settings to avoid such artifacts.

I was looking to buy a new monitor and the monitors I was looking at had two monitor response times and I need to know what are they.

1) what is normal response time vs high response time?

thanks in advance.

Kind of hard to tell you what the specs are if we don't know what make and model they are.

Quote from DisplayNinja:

Response time is a measure of how quickly a pixel can display a change from either black to white or from one shade of gray to another. Lower response times are better. Normal response time right now is 1ms for TN panels and 4ms for IPS and VA panels.

I would go for 1ms monitors.

5 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Kind of hard to tell you what the specs are if we don't know what make and model they are.

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-27-ultrathin-monitor-s2719dm/apd/210-aorr/monitors-monitor-accessories

I want to know what does it mean because they are advertising 2 response time normal (8ms) and fast (5ms)

thanks

Dell (and a select few of other display vendors) have something they call a "fast" response mode. Which is merely a software setting that essentially "overclocks" your monitors refresh rate (see @MysteriousAeon's reply for an explanation of what refresh rate is.) This allows for a faster updating of the pixels whilst significantly worsening the quality of the image. Ghosting and other artifacts are not uncommon when "overclocking" your display.

I'd recommend that you don't use this feature and keep the display at its normal settings to avoid such artifacts.

Just a thought here.  One millisecond is equal to one-thousandth of a second.  Divide a second by one thousand so there you have it.  One of them is equal to five-thousandths of a second and the other is equal to 8 thousandths of a second.  When you get down to the brass tacks and nails, not a lot of difference between the two of them.  So the real question is:  Do you want to spend that extra money on something that is only 3 thousandths of a second faster than the other and will that 3 thousandths of a second make that big of a difference in my system?

4 hours ago, ShadowLight said:

I was looking to buy a new monitor and the monitors I was looking at had two monitor response times and I need to know what are they.

1) what is normal response time vs high response time?

thanks in advance.

Ignore manufacturer specified response times, they are never accurate.

There is no industry wide certifcation/method for testing response time so it could be any number of tests between each manufactuer and even each monitor within a single manufacturer. You dont know what kind of pixel speed test it is, be it from 1 color to another, a shade of grey to another ..or at what point they take a measurment, is it 0-50%, 0-80%, 0-100%, or even 50-0%, 80-0%, 100-0% transition speed for example.

Long story short, u can maybe use it as a guide within a manufactuers catalogue of monitors, but for a true comparison of response times u will need to find somewhere that has reviewed the monitor you want and has tested response time properly. Idealy with pictures to give you an idea of the amount of ghosting/bluring associated with the speed results.

Even fast TN panels that are advertised as 1ms response time can be waaaay of the mark when 'properly' tested, with 80% transition speeds of over 2ms and 100% speeds of over 4ms ...which ofc is multiple times longer than what the manufacuter advertises ..and thats becouse it is highly likely they use a different testing method, and specific transition amount to cherry pick a number that sells well.  This is why u can buy 2 different monitors from 2 diferent manufactuers , both stating 1ms resposne time, and they will show significantly different amount of ghosting/bluring.

Fast 'actual' response times per panel type:

TN: 2ms 80% , 4ms 100%

VA: 5ms 80%, 10ms 100%

IPS: 4ms 80%, 8ms 100%

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |