Repair or sell MSI RX 570 Gaming X?

BlueThumb

So I got a MSI RX 570 Gaming X that shorted out. I removed the fan GPU Cooler and found that there was a good amount of damage. At least one of the mosfets shorted to ground, taking out two resistors completely (literally exploded) and one boiled input smoothing capacitor on the input side. And this is the damage I can see. It's possible there's more damage as clearly the power delivery took a big current spike when the mosfet decided it was done with life. 

Frankly I'm a little disappointed in MSI for choosing 6+2 power on the 570, sadly with only one 8 pin input and no back-plane. It's not bad --- just not good. Anyway, if it was 8+2 or better I may have been able to get away with removing 1-2 mosfets and replacing the bloated Kemet capacitor. Now I'm thinking I need to actually may need to replace mosfets and resistors. 

The main issue with repairing:

Finding similar mosfets is no easy task. I could roll the dice and order from Alibaba Express, or try to replace them all by ordering similar high-current mosfets from Mouser or Digikey. Also, I can't get a good spec on the input smoothing capacitor nor find one available that can handle high current. But at the end of the day, without knowing the exact specs, it may be throwing good money after bad.  

Anyone have 5-6 mosfets and a high-current smd capacitor for sale that you think will work? A long shot...I know. 

6 minutes ago, BlueThumb said:

So I got a MSI RX 570 Gaming X that shorted out. I removed the fan GPU Cooler and found that there was a good amount of damage. At least one of the mosfets shorted to ground, taking out two resistors completely (literally exploded) and one boiled input smoothing capacitor on the input side. And this is the damage I can see. It's possible there's more damage as clearly the power delivery took a big current spike when the mosfet decided it was done with life. 

Frankly I'm a little disappointed in MSI for choosing 6+2 power on the 570, sadly with only one 8 pin input and no back-plane. It's not bad --- just not good. Anyway, if it was 8+2 or better I may have been able to get away with removing 1-2 mosfets and replacing the bloated Kemet capacitor. Now I'm thinking I need to actually may need to replace mosfets and resistors. 

The main issue with repairing:

Finding similar mosfets is no easy task. I could roll the dice and order from Alibaba Express, or try to replace them all by ordering similar high-current mosfets from Mouser or Digikey. Also, I can't get a good spec on the input smoothing capacitor nor find one available that can handle high current. But at the end of the day, without knowing the exact specs, it may be throwing good money after bad.  

Anyone have 5-6 mosfets and a high-current smd capacitor for sale that you think will work? A long shot...I know. 

6 phase's is enough, Did MSI use power stages or one high and one low side FET? I'm gonna have to say that the core probably saw 12v, it's unusual to see a GPU that didn't die like that. To fix the card you're gonna have to put an E-Power on it if the core still works. There is likely too much damage to the PCB area to fix it. Pictures would help. 

Yours faithfully

I think your likely right about the core being fried. I've attached a couple of pics I have on my phone and about 500 miles away from my workshop at the moment so I can't get new ones for a week. But I did post a pic of the PCB that I found on-line and it's a perfect match. 

I wish I could answer your high or low side FET question. I'm not a EE...but know enough to be dangerous. If you can look at the pic and tell me - that would be fantastic! Also, the capacitor that bloated is the one labeled LR33. That seems to be a Kemet, high current capacitor...but I don't know for sure. 

IMG_6271.jpg

IMG_6272.jpg

MSI RX 570 Gaming X PCB.jpg