Need help deciding to upgrade or not to a x5690 (or 990x)

gt33

I don't want to build a new gaming system just yet. I am planning to go for it in about 1-1,5y, when we hopefully get some better intel CPUs. Till then, I wouldn't say "No" to some overpriced extra CPU horsepower, as long as I am not totally wasting money, 'cause the games I am playing seem like they could benefit from some extra CPU power. I am using this PC for gaming at 1440p (2560x1600) and I am thinking about upgrading the CPU (if I decide that it's remotely worth it), spending about 250 euro max.

My current system consists of the following:
PSU - Corsair 1200W
Mobo - EVGA X58 Classified 3 (141-GT-E770) - LGA 1366
CPU - i7 950 @ 3.9 Ghz  (23 x 167, 23 x 171 is fine too) - conservative o/c on air using a Prolimatech's Megahalems with 2 fans setup.
RAM - Corsair 1600 6 x 2gb = 12gb RAM (clocked at 1338 Mhz)
GPU - 2x GTX 780 Ti SLI
Storage - 2 SSDs, 2 HDDs, games run from EVO 960 on Sata2
Monitor - Dell u3014 (2560x1600)

I only have basic experience with o/c and I believe I could get more out of my 950, but back then when I had bought it, after experimenting with it for some time, I decided that I was happy with a conservative 3.9 ghz o/c that I could reach with stock voltage, because to go higher I had to increase voltage considerably, get considerably higher temps and it had seemed to me like it wasn't worth it in the long term, like I was gaining just a little extra (like 200-300Mhz) for considerable more long term heat and thus wear.

So, according to EVGA, the following CPUs are supported by my mobo:
a) up to Gulftown Core i7 990X - 3.46 GHz and
b) up to Westmere Xeon X5690 - 3.46 GHz.

According to ebay, I could get the 990x for roughly 200 Euro and the x5690 for 100 (both 2nd hand). So, I was wondering:
1) Say those 100 Euros are weighing my pocket and I wouldn't mind too much letting them go, would I be looking at a semi-decent upgrade of like 10-15% or so in gaming by grabbing the x5690? What kind of stable o/c do you think I would be able to get on air? Could I get much more by using some hybrid cooling solution? (I think not, about the last bit, right?).
2) If I decide to get the x5690, do you think that the extra 100 Euros to get a 990x would even remotely worth it? What extra would it be able to provide for gaming?

Finally, keep in mind that most of the games I am playing can't really utilize effectively more than 2 cores, definitely not more than 4. So, I am going by the assumption that I would see a real benefit only if I could get a considerably higher stable o/c frequency with a x5690 or 990x. Am I wrong to assume that, are there any substantial real life gains to be expected by the newer architecture of the x5690 or 990x in gaming? (newer compared to my i7 950).

Thanks in advance for any help.

At 1440p, most of the weight is on your gpu's, giving your cpu a longer shelf life. I'd wait to build, you don't need to upgrade just yet.

In fact, sell one of your 780ti's.  Almost no games utilize the second one.  Put the proceeds into your build budget.

Wait till the news comes out from the tech trade shows in early 2019.  Companies are moving to a smaller manufacturing node which will mean higher clocks and lower power consumption.

Why spend 100€ on the x5690 if you can get an x5675, which is pretty much the same bin, for about 30€? If you insist on the x5690 or 990x you might as well sell the base and build a new system. 

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

21 minutes ago, Ground said:

Why spend 100€ on the x5690 if you can get an x5675, which is pretty much the same bin, for about 30€? If you insist on the x5690 or 990x you might as well sell the base and build a new system. 

I am not insisting on anything and I am open to suggestions. I am just trying to get a feeling if I could get any meaningful upgrade to my CPU (o/ced 950 @ 3.9) without spending too much, till I build a new system. Thanks for bringing x5675 to my attention, I am checking it out and it seems like a better choice.

Yeah, x5675 at current pricing is the best pick then. A couple people have managed 4.6 on coolable and safe-ish voltages, though the average clockspeed achievable for daily is probably around 4.3 or so. Bclk limit is not an issue with those, I‘ve yet to see a 32nm chip incapable of 220 MHz stable on any board I‘ve owned. 

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

1 hour ago, Ground said:

Yeah, x5675 at current pricing is the best pick then. A couple people have managed 4.6 on coolable and safe-ish voltages, though the average clockspeed achievable for daily is probably around 4.3 or so. Bclk limit is not an issue with those, I‘ve yet to see a 32nm chip incapable of 220 MHz stable on any board I‘ve owned. 

Just checked and EVGA isn't mentioning the x5675 as supported for my mobo (X58 classified 3). It mentions x5690, x5680, x5677, x5670 as supported. What would you reccomend provided I manage to find it at a good price?

EDIT: Since the x5670 and x5667 are supported, I am wondering if the lower TDP of the x5670 and 5667 (95W opposed to 130 for the x5690) would make for a better o/c on air. Additionally, considering that the x5667 has 4 cores and I don't think I need 6 for gaming, maybe between x5667 and x5670, the x5667 would be better for o/c due to having less cores and thus produce less heat? Thoughts?

If the x5690 is supported, its really really likely the x5675 will work despite not being listed, they were released at the same time. 

The quads can be fun, but they aren‘t exactly a great choice given the minimal higher price of the 6 core xeons. In general similar overclock results can be reached with both, maybe 100 MHz more on the quad. There isn‘t enough data on 130W vs 95W chips because basically nobody buys the 130W chips anymore. 

If you really don‘t want to risk it - I would, the xeons weren‘t listed as supported on a single one of my boards and worked all the time - get the x5670 then, 6c/12t and should overclock decently (not as well most likely, the chips from '11 tend to clock better then the ones from '10)

I got the following answer from EVGA:

"Thanks for your question. The list only includes CPUs that were tested in-house. If one is in the same family, even though it wasn't tested, it should work.".

So, I guess I'll go for it and try to grab a x5675. I'll do it for science :P

Thanks all.