Deciding On a Dedicated Stream Build

Syralys

To save on time I'll get right to the point. I am deciding on whether or not to build a dedicated Streaming PC just so I can take the workload off my main PC. I currently run THIS setup on my main PC. It can stream just fine on most games, but I notice it does have a bit of struggle with more demanding titles like Shadow of The Tomb Raider. So this raised concerns to me when I was having some fps stutters while streaming, but this could be because I am trying to stream while playing at 144hz. Which if it is then I should be able to adjust later down the road.

My Stream Build I was planning is HERE. As a side note right now I do have an extra SSD and HDD on the side for this so it does cut costs down. I also can make this build cheaper by using my old Radeon 7950 as the GPU or drop it to a RX 570 instead. I don't believe the 7950 will be capable of streaming as well as I hope, but if it is capable then it should save me just under $200 on the build. Not only that I could drop the CPU fan since the Ryzen comes with it's own stock cooler.

Could I get some advice on if I should do a 2nd build for streaming or keep with my main build?

Thanks for reading and replying :) 

You have a few options:

1) Switch to NVENC (hardware) encoding for streaming to take the load off of your CPU. I do this when I stream with just my gaming PC and it has no impact on performance and the quality isn't that bad compared to x264 at lower bitrates.

2) If you are set on using x264 (software) encoding then I'd drop the video card and use the 7950 that you have and spend an extra $30 on a Ryzen 1700 for 8 cores (this way you can use x264 on the Slower preset for better quality).

GPU has no impact on streaming when you're using x264 encoding. I get the same exact performance whether I use an RX 480, RX 550, or GT 710 on my Ryzen 1700.

-KuJoe

if its a build just for taking a capture card input from your gaming pc, composing the scene, and encodingf that for your platform of choice.. go all out on the cpu. nvenc and other hardware based solutions are great if you dont have the luxury of throwing heaps of cpu cycles at encoding, but (unfortunately?) x264 is still king.