best way to add keyboard backlight?

gameboy3800
Go to solution Solved by W-L,
1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

And you'd either have to stack PCBs which would get pretty fucking hard real fast or do some janky-ass circuitry that would probably render your keyboard unusable, if not completely broken.

I've seen some mechanical keyboards without backlight but on the PCB have spots for LED's but pretty sure they omitted the circuity for power and such. 

2 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

the keyboard has 2 usb ports i could use to power any mods requiring it.

The problem is not power but the ability to have the space to add in the lighting. 

i've got an older razer tarantula keyboard. it still works perfectly fine and has been one of my main keyboards for awhile. i would like to continue using it as my daily driver, but its missing some key features that other keyboards have. most notably backlighting; its got none except on the macro keys. is there a mod i can do that wouldnt damage the structure that would allow for some basic backlighting? 

y[e]  |  I am king giraffe. Hail me.  |  I build computers as a hobby and sometimes resell them to make a profit. | Current rig's specs:

OS: Win10 Pro x64 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | MB: ASUS X570 Tuff | RAM: 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz | Bootup: Adata 1tb NVME Gen4 | SSD: Intel SSD6 P600 1tb | HDDs: 16tb total | PSU: Seasonic 1200w 80+ Gold | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Case: Voodoo Omen R (yes, THAT Voodoo) | Screen: Acer XF270HU 1440p 144hz FreeSync | total spent: $too much | (lol empty space)

Just now, firelighter487 said:

shine a light on it?

banned

y[e]  |  I am king giraffe. Hail me.  |  I build computers as a hobby and sometimes resell them to make a profit. | Current rig's specs:

OS: Win10 Pro x64 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | MB: ASUS X570 Tuff | RAM: 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz | Bootup: Adata 1tb NVME Gen4 | SSD: Intel SSD6 P600 1tb | HDDs: 16tb total | PSU: Seasonic 1200w 80+ Gold | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Case: Voodoo Omen R (yes, THAT Voodoo) | Screen: Acer XF270HU 1440p 144hz FreeSync | total spent: $too much | (lol empty space)

....?

shining a light on it seems like the easiest fix... 

post and title clearly ask for advice in making a backlight...

5 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

i've got an older razer tarantula keyboard. it still works perfectly fine and has been one of my main keyboards for awhile. i would like to continue using it as my daily driver, but its missing some key features that other keyboards have. most notably backlighting; its got none except on the macro keys. is there a mod i can do that wouldnt damage the structure that would allow for some basic backlighting? 

There isn't a way to add back-lighting into keyboards if it didn't come with them pre-existing since you would need to integrate it into the initial design including power circuity. 

New keyboard or, as @firelighter487 said, shine a light on it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, W-L said:

There isn't a way to add back-lighting into keyboards if it didn't come with them pre-existing since you would need to integrate it into the initial design including power circuity. 

And you'd either have to stack PCBs which would get pretty fucking hard real fast or do some janky-ass circuitry that would probably render your keyboard unusable, if not completely broken.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

yes but the only reason you'd want one is to see the keys i assume? 

i asked for assistance in a backlight mod; not your sarcasm.

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

1 minute ago, gameboy3800 said:

i asked for assistance in a backlight mod; not your sarcasm.

Just now, gameboy3800 said:

i think @W-L meant wiring up all of the LED's under the keys and a controller for them. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I've seen some mechanical keyboards without backlight but on the PCB have spots for LED's but pretty sure they omitted the circuity for power and such. 

2 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

The problem is not power but the ability to have the space to add in the lighting. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

I have too, but OP's keyboard is not one of those.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, W-L said:

i'm sure i could get smaller keycaps that wouldnt reach to the pcb to allow more room for something like a tiny led strip to snake through. or if some company has made a dedicated addon to give old keyboards a new breath of life.

3 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

i'm sure i could get smaller keycaps that wouldnt reach to the pcb to allow more room for something like a tiny led strip to snake through. or if some company has made a dedicated addon to give old keyboards a new breath of life.

so you're gonna buy loads of LED's, a controller and keycaps, then spend hours of work? why not just buy a new keyboard... seriously.. 

She/Her

so you're gonna buy loads of LED's, a controller and keycaps, then spend hours of work? why not just buy a new keyboard... seriously.. 

please stop responding to this post; you clearly dont understand the question. i've already got a brand new set of razer gear. but i still want to use the old setup.

11 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

Not that I know of since any kind of LED tape would be too large and individual LED's if you can install them need power individually. As said it wouldn't really be worth the time and effort if you needed to design a whole power layout and then find the space if there is any of house all of it. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Not that I know of since any kind of LED tape would be too large and individual LED's if you can install them need power individually. As said it wouldn't really be worth the time and effort if you needed to design a whole power layout and then find the space if there is any of house all of it. 

but i'm not asking for per key backlighting...

7 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

but i'm not asking for per key backlighting...

If you wanted to do say a general lighting it would be very hard to get it even without adding in a diffusable layer or sheet which adds a fair bit of thickness. I know the old G15 keyboards did this by integrating it with a clear membrane key switch