You've heard of the Oven method, now get ready for

Fasauceome

The freezer method!

This laptop that my friend uses for his laser cutter has a very peculiar perk. If it's off and you try to turn it on at room temperature, it will not work. Keyboard lights up, screen backlight turns on, but no post. However, slap that bad boy in the freezer for a couple minutes and it works fine. It never thermal shutdowns, but will not start unless it's chilled.

Anyone ever have a device like this?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Sounds like some of the connections in it are broken and freezing it somehow connects them until it warms up and they expand, or I could be completely wrong xD

6 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Sounds like some of the connections in it are broken and freezing it somehow connects them until it warms up and they expand, or I could be completely wrong xD

One would think, but it doesn't stop working when warm or hot

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Bad HDD. This is a method used to help in data recovery. I've done it myself. I didn't get every single scrap of data (the drive finally just died) but I got almost all of it. So without more info, that would be my guess.

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Bad HDD. This is a method used to help in data recovery. I've done it myself. I didn't get every single scrap of data (the drive finally just died) but I got almost all of it. So without more info, that would be my guess.

What's bizarre is that it has been this way for years, working seemingly fine. It would be nice to slap an SSD in there though, but I would have thought the BIOS would load up should the hard drive fail to read

Primary PC:

Years??

Maybe it's time to get a new laptop...ever consider that possibility?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Years??

Maybe it's time to get a new laptop...ever consider that possibility?

Oh yes this laptop has been replaced. He uses an Acer aspire as a daily driver at home and an XPS at work. The laser cutter gets to use the crap leftover PC.

Primary PC:

Well if the HDD is failing, and its the primary header thats gone bad, then after intial start up under cold conditions, it would indeed run fine ..untill u turn it off again and try to start up again.

Though the lack of post, kinda gives me pause.  Even wihtout a HDD you should atleast be able to post and get into the bios. Unless the HDD being present but failty is stoping this.

perhaps he should try disconecting the hDD and starting up the Laptop, see if it can get into the bios at normal room temp without the HDD present.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

38 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

One would think, but it doesn't stop working when warm or hot

does the power button work at room temperature? 

also look out with the battery, battery's don't like temperature changes... 

She/Her

Like others have said, it could be the hard drive. take out the drive then try to boot at room temp to test. Also Is the battery in the laptop when its put in the freezer? have you tried booting without the battery?

14 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

also look out with the battery, battery's don't like temperature changes...

The battery was replaced at one point, the original suspect.

Primary PC:

9 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The battery was replaced at one point, the original suspect.

no but i mean don't put the battery in the freezer. that's a bad idea... 

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

no but i mean don't put the battery in the freezer. that's a bad idea... 

There are many reasons not to put this laptop into the freezer, so while I do recognize it's not great, we kinda have to

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

There are many reasons not to put this laptop into the freezer, so while I do recognize it's not great, we kinda have to

just watch out.. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

just watch out.. 

I believe there is another laptop lined up to replace this one so since it's so old I don't mind having to chill it every month or so.

Primary PC:

Lithium batteries pretty much just die in the super cold. As others have said, pull the battery before you bung it in the freezer. I don't honestly think it will explode or do anything. It will just prevent it from holding much of a charge.

Just now, TempestCatto said:

Lithium batteries pretty much just die in the super cold. As others have said, pull the battery before you bung it in the freezer. I don't honestly think it will explode or do anything. It will just prevent it from holding much of a charge.

It's a stationary laptop, doesn't go anyplace without the charger. It sits in the basement.

Primary PC:

Just now, TempestCatto said:

I don't honestly think it will explode or do anything.

with battery's it's best not to take risks though... 

She/Her

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

You're not getting it. Even though we don't think it will blow up, it's still considered dangerous to do leave it in.

it's less trouble to chuck the laptop and get a replacement so I'll probably have that done

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

it's less trouble to chuck the laptop and get a replacement so I'll probably have that done

the problem is not a dead battery. if the battery blows up it could burn your house down. just don't take the risk! either don't use that laptop anymore or take the battery out if you put it in the freezer/take the battery out and run it without the battery if possible. 

She/Her

12 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

the problem is not a dead battery. if the battery blows up it could burn your house down. just don't take the risk! either don't use that laptop anymore or take the battery out if you put it in the freezer/take the battery out and run it without the battery if possible. 

I won't be leaving it in the kitchen trash, I'll probably take the battery to electronics recycling and sell the laptop on eBay

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

I won't be leaving it in the kitchen trash, I'll probably take the battery to electronics recycling and sell the laptop on eBay

good. 

i was just trying to warn you... 

She/Her